Reve Essentials Hair and Body Moisturizer
Originally Published April 18, 2012 | Refreshed October 2026
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
A Little Product Discovery That Turned Into a Big Surprise!
Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!
Ladies, if there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I have always enjoyed discovering hair care products that make caring for our natural curls and coils a little easier.
And sometimes, the most wonderful discoveries come from the least expected places!
Today, we're revisiting a product review I originally wrote in April 2012, during those exciting early years of exploring products for my natural hair.
The product was Reve Essentials Hair & Body Moisturizer.
Now, ladies, this wasn't a product I stumbled across while walking through a department store or browsing my neighborhood beauty supply shop.
I discovered it through a fellow natural-hair enthusiast on YouTube.
And what followed became one of my most memorable little product discoveries!
How I Discovered Reve Essentials
Back in 2012, I watched a YouTube video by a natural-hair enthusiast known as Jcokes7.
Her discussion of Reve Essentials caught my attention.
Like many naturalistas, I was constantly learning about products that might help with moisture, detangling, and maintaining my curls.
But there was something else I was becoming increasingly aware of.
A beautiful product label and an expensive price tag don't automatically guarantee beautiful results.
I had already accumulated my fair share of products that didn't perform quite the way I'd hoped.
Ladies, you know what I mean!
Those bottles and jars sitting in the bathroom cabinet, waiting for another opportunity to prove themselves!
LOL!
So when I visited the Reve Essentials website, I was interested—but cautious.
At the time, the company offered several hair and body products, and I appreciated its straightforward presentation.
However, I found it a little challenging to match some descriptions with the products shown in the video.
Rather than ordering an entire collection, I decided to begin with something small.
And I'm so glad I did.
My First Purchase: The Lemon-Scented Moisturizer
I ordered a sample-size bottle of the Hair & Body Moisturizer in the lemon fragrance.
The price was reasonable enough for me to experiment without making a large commitment.
I placed my order on a Saturday, and by Wednesday, the package had arrived.
Not bad at all!
But ladies, the real surprise came when I opened the bottle.
Oh, that fragrance!
It wasn't the harsh, artificial lemon scent that sometimes reminds us of household cleaning products.
Instead, it smelled creamy, soft, and pleasantly sweet.
I remember thinking it smelled almost like a lovely lemon dessert!
Now, if you enjoy a delightful fragrance during your hair care routine, you can certainly appreciate how that first impression made me smile.
But fragrance alone wasn't going to win me over.
The product still had to perform.
And that's where things became interesting!
Putting Reve Essentials to the Test
At the time, my natural hair included a beautiful combination of 3B, 3C, and 4A textures.
I was learning how different sections of my hair responded to conditioners, moisturizers, and styling products.
Some sections formed loose, springy curls, while others had tighter coils that needed a little extra patience during detangling.
For this particular wash day, I cleansed my hair with a clay-based hair bar.
Then I followed with the Reve Essentials moisturizer.
Ladies, the difference in how my hair felt was noticeable!
As I worked the product through my damp strands, my hair became easier to manipulate.
The moisturizer provided enough slip that detangling felt considerably less frustrating.
And my curls?
They felt so smooth!
I was delighted.
The Detangling Experience That Impressed Me
Let me tell you why this part of the review was so important.
When you're caring for naturally curly or coily hair, detangling can sometimes become the most time-consuming part of wash day.
Depending on your texture, density, length, and the condition of your strands, shed hairs and tangles may require careful attention.
That's why I appreciate products that help my fingers or comb move through my hair without excessive pulling.
During my original Reve Essentials trial, I experienced just that.
I could work through sections of my hair more easily, and my strands felt soft and conditioned.
I remember being particularly impressed because I didn't have to struggle through my usual detangling process.
And ladies, any product that made wash day more pleasant certainly earned my attention!
Of course, no conditioner or moisturizer can prevent every knot or eliminate the need for gentle handling.
But a product that improves slip can make a meaningful difference in how manageable our hair feels.
Softness, Moisture & My Twist-Out Routine
Following my application, I worked my hair into twists.
During that period, I often divided my hair into approximately twelve sections as part of my usual styling routine.
But after using the Reve Essentials moisturizer, I found the process so manageable that I experimented with fewer twists.
My hair felt soft enough to handle comfortably, and it was ready for styling without the usual lengthy preparation.
For me, that was an excellent result.
When I refer to hair feeling moisturized, I'm describing the softness, smoothness, and manageability I personally observed.
Healthy hair care also depends on regular cleansing, conditioning, minimizing unnecessary breakage, and selecting products that suit your individual needs.
One product cannot do everything.
But when a moisturizer performs well within your routine, it can certainly become a favorite!
I Was So Impressed, I Ordered More!
Now, ladies, here's the part that still makes me laugh.
I originally ordered a small sample because I wasn't sure whether I would like the product.
But after trying it?
I went right back and ordered another bottle!
This time, I chose a larger size in the baby powder fragrance.
That's how impressed I was with my first experience.
And while I cannot tell you whether the company offers the same products or fragrances today, I can tell you that my enthusiasm back in 2012 was genuine.
Sometimes a little sample tells you everything you need to know about whether a product deserves another opportunity in your hair care routine.
And Reve Essentials certainly earned that opportunity with me.
What Was in the Original Formula?
My original review included a list of ingredients from the product information available at the time.
These included water infused with botanical extracts, aloe vera juice, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, jojoba oil, rosehip seed oil, castor oil, coconut oil, and fragrance.
Let's look at what some of these ingredients contribute to a cosmetic hair formulation.
Behentrimonium Methosulfate
Despite its name, this ingredient is not the same thing as the harsh cleansing sulfates sometimes discussed in hair care.
It is commonly used as a conditioning and detangling agent.
It helps improve slip, which can make hair easier to comb.
Cetyl Alcohol
Cetyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol.
It is frequently included in conditioners to improve texture, softness, and the feel of the hair.
Aloe Vera
Aloe-based ingredients are common in hair and skin products. Their contribution depends on the amount used and the overall formulation.
Jojoba, Castor & Coconut Oils
These oils can contribute lubrication and conditioning properties, although their effects differ depending on the product and the individual hair.
Coconut oil, for example, has been studied for its ability to penetrate the hair fiber and reduce protein loss under some conditions.
However, an ingredient's properties don't automatically establish the performance of every product containing it.
A note for today's readers: These are ingredients recorded in my original 2012 article. They should not be treated as a verified current ingredient list.
What I Loved About Reve Essentials
Looking back at my original review, there were several reasons this moisturizer made such a positive impression on me.
Wonderful detangling slip: My hair was easier to work through after application.
Soft, smooth curls: My strands felt conditioned and manageable.
Pleasant fragrance: I loved the creamy lemon scent.
Versatile styling: The moisturizer worked well with my twisting routine.
Affordable sampling: I appreciated being able to try a smaller amount before purchasing more.
Thoughtful packaging: My order arrived promptly and was nicely presented.
Now, I also want to be clear about something.
My positive experience with this particular product doesn't mean it would perform identically on every curl pattern or hair type.
Our individual hair characteristics, product combinations, and styling preferences can produce different results.
That's one of the reasons I have always encouraged naturalistas to learn what works for their own crowns.
Was There Anything I Didn't Like?
At the time, my principal concern wasn't the performance of the moisturizer.
It was navigating the original website and understanding exactly which products matched the descriptions and recommendations I had seen.
Once my order arrived, I was satisfied with the shipping, presentation, and product.
Of course, this was my experience in April 2012.
Shipping prices, product availability, formulations, and ordering options may have changed considerably since then.
For that reason, I have removed the old website promotion and prices from this refreshed review.
I would rather preserve an accurate historical account than send readers toward outdated purchasing information.
My Original Rating: Five Curls!
Ladies, I'm not changing my original opinion simply because the article is older.
At the time, Reve Essentials received five curls out of five from me!
<text strong>★★★★★</text>
That rating reflected my personal experience with the moisturizer, its performance on my natural hair, the ordering process, and the value I believed I received.
It wasn't a laboratory evaluation or a claim that everyone would experience identical results.
It was one naturalista enthusiastically sharing a wonderful find with other naturalistas.
And I still enjoy remembering that discovery!
Looking Back on My Natural Hair Journey
One of the most rewarding parts of refreshing these older Crowning Glory articles is seeing how much I've learned over the years.
When I started documenting my natural hair experiences, I was experimenting with techniques, ingredients, and products to discover what worked for me.
Sometimes I found something wonderful.
Sometimes I bought a product that didn't agree with my curls at all!
And sometimes I learned that a product could perform beautifully under one set of conditions but differently when combined with another leave-in or styling cream.
Every experience helped shape my understanding of my hair.
And that is the beauty of documenting a natural hair journey.
Our experiences become a record of discovery, growth, and learning to care for the beautiful crowns we have.
Reve Essentials remains one of those pleasant memories from the early years of my journey.
Continue Your Natural Hair Journey
If you enjoy discovering ways to keep your curls soft and manageable, here are a few related articles from Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks.
10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized
Discover everyday moisture-retention practices for curls and coils.
Water, Water, Water! The Secret to Healthy, Hydrated Natural Hair
Learn why hydration and a consistent conditioning routine matter.
Combating Frizz: Why Your Natural Hair Gets Frizzy & How to Keep Your Curls Beautifully Defined
Explore practical ways to manage frizz without sacrificing softness or movement.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Now, I would love to hear from you.
Have you ever discovered an amazing natural hair product through another blogger or YouTube reviewer?
Did you begin with a sample, or did you jump right in and purchase the full-size product?
And here's another question:
What's the one quality that makes you fall in love with a hair moisturizer—softness, fragrance, detangling slip, or long-lasting manageability?
Share your experiences in the comments!
Until next time, my beautiful naturalistas…
Happy Curls to You, My Friend!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Every Coil. Every Kink. Every Crown.
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


These could have been my own narrative. I also was introduced to this produced my Jcokes and I went back and forth on the site a few times. Then i made the plunge and I am so glad that I did. My hair loves this stuff, it does great as a detangler and moisturizer. I even went and ordered two more this weekend. I pray they never change the formulation.
ReplyDeleteThanks Marcia for stopping by my blog. LOL! You sound like my kind of Lady! Even after writing the blog, I ordered an additional Hair and Moisturizer and even ventured to order the Butter in Lemon! Next week I'll be ordering some more Hair and Moisturizer to have on hand in case they change the price! ;) Happy Curls to You!
ReplyDelete