Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Gel-Cream: My Natural Hair Experience and Honest Review


When a Beautiful Rose Fragrance Meets Natural Curls!
Illustrative image created for Crowning Glory Coils and Kinks”

Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends!

Now, ladies, you know there's something special about finding a hair product that makes your curls look so good that someone actually stops you to ask what you're using!

Well, honey, that's exactly what happened to me!

Today, I'm taking a little stroll down memory lane to revisit a product I originally reviewed in May 2016: Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex Nourish & Silken Styling Gel-Cream.

And let me tell you, this product gave me something to talk about!

How I Discovered Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil

I first learned about this product while watching a YouTube video by fellow natural hair enthusiast Pretti Uneek Hair.

At the time, I was curious about trying something different for my natural curls.

Unfortunately, I couldn't simply walk into my local Target and pick it up. I had to order the product online and arrange to collect it at my neighborhood Target store.

But once I got my hands on it, I was ready to see what all the excitement was about!

The Compliment That Inspired This Review

Now, here's the part of this story that still makes me smile.

One Thursday, while riding on a crowded train, I was minding my business when a woman leaned toward me and quietly asked what I was using on my hair.

She had beautiful, fine natural curls herself.

After looking at my hair, she complimented how healthy it appeared.

Ladies, you know how that feels!

When you've spent time learning your natural hair, experimenting with products, and figuring out what works, it's encouraging when someone notices the results.

That encounter inspired me to sit down and share my experience with Shea Moisture's Peace Rose Oil products.

My Hair Texture and Why It Matters

Before discussing the product, let me explain a little about my hair.

My natural hair includes 3C curls and tighter coily sections. I also have fine strands and low-porosity hair.

Over the years, I've learned that my hair generally prefers lightweight products.

Heavy butters and thick creams can leave my curls feeling weighed down, so I'm always interested in products that provide definition without sacrificing movement.

And that's one reason this particular gel-cream caught my attention.

My Experience With the Gel-Cream

When I first tried Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Styling Gel-Cream, I was pleasantly surprised by the way my hair responded.

At the time, I was also using the Peace Rose conditioner.

I applied the gel-cream to wet hair, and the results were encouraging.

My curls felt light and bouncy, with a soft hold that allowed my hair to move naturally.

And ladies, that is something I appreciate!

I don't always want a hairstyle that feels stiff or coated with product.

Sometimes I simply want soft, defined curls that look and feel like my natural hair.

Another thing I noticed was that I didn't need a large amount of product to achieve the results I wanted.

For my fine strands, a little went a long way.

Let's Talk About That Rose Fragrance!

Oh, honey! This deserves its own conversation!

The fragrance was STRONG.

And I mean a very noticeable rose fragrance!

Now, I happen to love roses, so the scent was something I enjoyed.

To me, it smelled remarkably like fresh roses.

However, I also recognized that this product would not appeal to everyone.

If you prefer unscented products or are sensitive to strong fragrances, this is something you would have wanted to consider.

In my experience, the fragrance became less noticeable after approximately an hour, although misting my hair with water sometimes brought the scent back to my attention.

For me, that rose fragrance was part of the experience.

For someone else, it might have been a reason to pass on the product.

And that's why I believe honest product reviews matter!

What About the Hold and Curl Definition?

One of my favorite things about the gel-cream was its soft hold.

My hair felt bouncy and light rather than stiff.

Because my strands are fine, I particularly appreciated that the product didn't seem to overwhelm my curls when I used a small amount.

I applied it to wet hair, which worked well for me.

At the time of my original review, I had not experimented with applying it to dry hair, so I couldn't compare those results.

And that's something I always want my Curl Friends to understand:

A good review should tell you what someone actually experienced, not promise results they haven't tested.

Was It Worth the Price?

When I originally purchased this product in 2016, the price was approximately $10.99.

At that time, I considered it reasonably priced, particularly because I didn't need to use very much.

Of course, product prices, availability, packaging, and formulations can change over time.

This is a look back at my original experience rather than a current recommendation to purchase the product.

What I Loved About It

Looking back at my original experience, these were the qualities that stood out:

  • Soft, flexible hold

  • Light and bouncy curls

  • Easy application to wet hair

  • A little product went a long way

  • A beautiful rose fragrance for those who enjoy floral scents

What I Would Caution My Curl Friends About

The biggest consideration was definitely the fragrance.

While I loved the realistic rose scent, someone with fragrance sensitivities might have found it overwhelming.

Also, because my hair is fine and low porosity, I prefer using styling products sparingly.

Even when a product performs beautifully, applying too much may leave fine strands looking or feeling weighed down.

What This Product Taught Me

As I revisit this review years later, I recognize how much I've learned about my natural hair.

Back then, I was excited about discovering new products and experimenting with different styling methods.

Today, I still enjoy finding products that work, but I've become more intentional about what I purchase and how I care for my curls.

I've learned that expensive products aren't always better.

I've learned that more product doesn't necessarily mean better results.

And I've learned that understanding my fine, low-porosity strands is more valuable than following every new hair-care trend.

The best natural hair routine is the one that works for YOUR hair.

A Final Thought From My Heart

One of the beautiful things about maintaining this blog for so many years is being able to look back and see how my natural hair journey has evolved.

Some products become favorites. Others disappear from store shelves. And sometimes our own hair changes so much that a product we once loved no longer meets our needs.

But every experience teaches us something.

That crowded train ride in 2016 reminded me that our natural hair journeys can encourage conversations, create connections, and inspire other women.

And that is still one of the reasons I enjoy sharing my experiences with you.

Let's Talk, Curl Friends!

Have you ever tried a rose-scented natural hair product?

Do you enjoy floral fragrances, or do you prefer fragrance-free products?

And here's another question:

Do you prefer a soft, flexible hold or a stronger gel that keeps every curl in place?

I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments!

Remember:

Love your curls. Embrace your coils. Celebrate your kinks. And learn YOUR hair!

Until next time,

Lady Summerset
Crowning Glory Coils and Kinks

Editor's Note — Updated October 2026: This article was originally published May 22, 2016. It has been revised to preserve my firsthand experience with Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Styling Gel-Cream while providing additional perspective from my continuing natural hair journey. Product availability, prices, and formulations may have changed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages!

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose