Adsense

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Curls Unleashed "Set It Off" Curling Gelly -- In Review

I had previously purchased the "Curls Unleashed Defining Creme" and loved it. My curl pattern ranges from 3b to 4a. My hair is wavy to very coily and that product worked great for my hair. However, that product doesn't have a "hold" and for all intent and purposes, wasn't designed too, so I decided to try the Curl Boosting Gelly to maintain moisture, hold back frizz, and give me a light to flexible hold.
I purchased my jar of the Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Gelly from Duane Read and paid $12.99 for a16 ounce jar which I felt was a great price compared to other "higher-end" holding gels.


Curls Unleashed™ Set it Off™ Curl Boosting Jelly is made with soothing aloe vera, wheat protein, vitamin B and other ingredients to help give you gorgeous, “crunchless” curl definition.
• Defines curls without the crunch
• Helps eliminate frizz
• Provides all day hold
This product helps eliminate frizz without making your hair feel hard or crunchy. Great for all types of hair. This product is free of SD alcohol, parabens & mineral oil. Packaging is BPA free and recyclable.


Ingredients
Aqua (water), glycerin, ppg-5-ceteth-20, polyquaternium-11, peg-12 dimethicone, propylene glycol, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, glyceryl acrylate/acrylic acid copolymer, panthenol, hydrolyed wheat protein, amodimethicone, trideceth-12, cetrimonium chloride, carbomer, triethanolamine, parfum (fragrance), benzyl benzoate, coumarin, d-limonene, linalool, ci 60725 (violet #2).

Ingredient Attributes: paraben free


My Application of Product

I am a avid wash 'n go wearer and purchased this item with that in mind. As most wash 'n go wearers know, you need a "good" gel to maintain your style while combat-ting frizz.
I applied this product to hair that had already been co-washed, a leave-in conditioner applied (TREsemme Naturals), and Shea Butter was used as an sealant. I did dampen my hair and applied about two quarter size amounts of the Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Gelly in the palms of my hands and worked it throughout my damp hair.
Product glided on smoothly and was very lightly tropically-scented. Immediately I noticed that the product gave my hair a nice shine and wasn't nearly as tacky as other products that I had tried and reviewed.
My Final Thoughts on Curls Unleashed "Set It Off" Curling Gelly
I loved, loved, loved the product.
Pros
  • I didn't have to use a large amount to get proper coverage.
  • Product dried, on damp hair, under 30 - 45 minutes
  • Gave a light, shiny hold.
  • Held down frizz throughout the day
  • Price Point is Great!
  • Hair was not the bit hard or crunchy!
  • Experienced Less Shrinkage with this product.
  • Doesn't Have parabens
Cons
  • Product is NOT completely natural but has other great natural ingredients included.
Hair with Curls Unleashed "Set It Off"Curling Gelly

This was the first gel(ly) that I could actually shake my hair and SEE movement! Curls had bounce for days! (I'm smiling yall! Can't you see me?!)
I must say that the product left my hair unbelievably SOFT and pliable.
Would I purchase again? This is MY new Curl Gelly! It warrants a Holy Grail product status!
Let me know your experience with the product and feel free to leave a comment. Thanks again for stopping by!
Happy Curls to You!




2 comments:

  1. I just discovered this line and I love the curl defining creme but I find it a bit to heavy for my hair. The leave in conditioner on it's own does nothing for me. If you had to choose between this and the creme which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Jeneille,

    I use the Curl Defining Creme and The Set It Off Jelly in conjunction with each other. However, my have texture is 3b/3c/4 type and requires a creamy base or butter styling product to deter frizz and maintain moisture.

    If you are a 4a-type, I would replace the leave-in with a regular leave-in and change the styler. If you are a 3c-type, replace the leave-in and modify the amount of curling creme that you use.

    Let me know how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete