Lavish Curls Moisturizer Review: My Experience Refreshing Natural Curls


Second Day Curl Refresher to Reactivate and Moisturize Curls

Formerly Called "Quench Curls"


By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published May 1, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕

Have you ever purchased a natural hair product, tried it a few times, decided it wasn't quite right for your curls, and then discovered that it actually had a place in your hair care routine?

Well, ladies, that is exactly what happened to me with Lavish Curls Moisturizer, a curl-refreshing product that was formerly known as Quench Curls.

At the time, I was exploring different products to keep my natural curls soft, moisturized, and refreshed between wash days. Like many naturals, I had accumulated quite a collection of bottles, jars, creams, and conditioners!

I had even started giving some of my less-used products to a coworker. But before I completely parted ways with Lavish Curls, I decided to give it another opportunity.

And I'm glad I did!

Revisiting a Product I Almost Gave Away

One morning, my hair was going through one of those in-between stages. You know the kind, ladies! Your curls are still there, but they need a little encouragement to come back to life.

I remembered the Lavish Curls Moisturizer sitting among my products and thought, Why not try it again?

The product was marketed as a second-day curl refresher, designed to help revive curls without starting the entire wash-day routine over again.

That sounded promising!

But as I began working with it, I encountered a little problem.

The Spray Bottle Wasn't Spraying!

Although Lavish Curls came in a spray bottle, its consistency was quite thick.

Instead of producing a fine mist, the product practically squirted out!

Now, ladies, you know that when I'm refreshing my natural curls, I want something I can distribute without creating too much buildup or disturbing my curl pattern.

So I decided to experiment.

Because my bottle was less than one-third full, I added water to the remaining product and shook it thoroughly. I was pleasantly surprised when the diluted mixture sprayed more easily.

An important note from today's perspective: Diluting a manufactured hair product with water can affect its preservative system and increase the risk of microbial contamination. Although I tried this method in 2013, I would not recommend adding water directly to the original bottle for storage. A safer approach is to lightly mist the hair with clean water first, then apply a small amount of product separately.

Sometimes experience teaches us lessons that become even more valuable years later!

How Did My Curls Respond?

After applying the product, I noticed that my curls appeared refreshed.

I was already using other moisturizing and styling products at the time, including a leave-in conditioner, a hair pudding, and a hair-and-body moisturizer.

Lavish Curls became an additional refresher rather than the foundation of my styling routine.

My curls looked revived, but there was one drawback.

They felt slightly sticky to the touch.

Because glycerin appeared high on the ingredient list, I wondered whether it contributed to that feeling. Glycerin is a humectant that can help attract moisture, but the way a product feels depends on the complete formula, the amount applied, the other products on the hair, and environmental conditions.

When I later misted my hair lightly with water, the sticky sensation became more manageable.

The experience reminded me of something important: sometimes we need to adjust how much product we use rather than immediately assume a product is entirely unsuitable.

What I Remember About Lavish Curls

The original product had a thick, nearly clear consistency and a fruity fragrance that reminded me of mangoes and peaches.

Its 2013 ingredient list included water, glycerin, silk amino acids, aloe vera, shea butter, jojoba seed oil, and chamomile extract, among other ingredients.

Of course, ingredients and formulas can change over time. This description reflects the product I reviewed in 2013, not necessarily a version being sold today.

What This Product Taught Me About My Natural Hair

One thing my natural hair journey taught me is that not every product will perform the same way on every head of curls and coils.

Some products provide excellent definition but not enough softness. Others leave our hair feeling moisturized but may not deliver the styling results we want.

And sometimes, ladies, we simply apply too much!

This is one reason I encourage natural-haired women to learn their own strands rather than depend entirely on somebody else's favorite-product list.

Your hair may respond differently according to its condition, porosity, density, styling routine, and the products you combine.

I also learned the importance of recognizing buildup. When several styling products are layered together, it becomes difficult to determine which one is responsible for stickiness, flaking, or an uncomfortable feeling on the hair.

Sometimes simplifying our routine can make all the difference.

Would I Have Continued Using Lavish Curls?

At the time, I appreciated its ability to help refresh my curls, but I wasn't completely satisfied with how the thick product dispensed or how sticky my hair sometimes felt afterward.

For those reasons, I considered it a product that worked better for me in small amounts rather than something I wanted to apply heavily every day.

Would I call it a complete disappointment?

No, ladies!

But I wouldn't call it my perfect curl refresher, either.

And that's the beauty of an honest product review. We can appreciate what a product does well while recognizing its limitations.

Looking Back on My Natural Hair Journey

Reading this review again more than a decade later reminds me just how much I enjoyed experimenting with my natural hair.

There was always another product to sample, another technique to try, and another lesson waiting to be learned.

But if there's one thing I appreciate even more today, it's this:

Healthy natural hair care doesn't require a bathroom cabinet overflowing with products. It requires understanding what your own hair needs.

Beautiful curls and coils are not created by the number of jars sitting on our shelves. Consistency, gentle handling, cleansing, conditioning, and a routine that suits our hair can take us a long way.

And ladies, sometimes the simplest approach is the best one!

Let's Talk, Ladies! 💕

Have you ever given a natural hair product a second chance and discovered that it worked better when you changed your application technique?

Or have you tried a curl refresher that left your hair feeling sticky?

I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments!

Until next time, keep loving, nurturing, and celebrating your beautiful crown.

Happy Curls to You!

Archival note: This article documents my personal experience with Lavish Curls Moisturizer in 2013. Product formulations, packaging, pricing, and availability may have changed since the original publication.

© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose