Good News for Natural Hair Products! How Our Choices Have Grown Since 2015
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
From the Crowning Glory Archives | Originally Published March 1, 2015 | Refreshed October 2026
Hello, My Beautiful Naturalistas!
Ladies, do you remember when finding a good selection of natural hair products meant visiting several different stores, searching online, or hoping your favorite beauty supply shop carried exactly what you needed?
Oh my goodness! LOL!
Well, when I originally wrote this article in March 2015, I experienced something during an ordinary shopping trip that made me realize just how much the natural hair community was influencing the beauty industry.
And today, looking back, I can appreciate that moment even more.
A Little Shopping Trip That Turned Into Good News!
One afternoon, I was shopping at my local Target when I wandered over to the ethnic hair care aisle.
Now, ladies, you know how it goes!
You walk into a store for one thing, and somehow you find yourself browsing the hair products!
LOL!
On this particular visit, I was searching for a Camille Rose product. Unfortunately, the one I wanted wasn't available.
But something else caught my attention.
There was quite a bit of activity around the hair care aisles.
As I continued looking around, I overheard store employees discussing changes being made to the natural hair section.
According to their conversation, the store needed additional room for natural hair products because shoppers were coming in specifically looking for them.
Well, ladies, you can imagine my reaction!
Our natural hair community was making an impact!
And I was delighted to see it.
Natural Hair Was Becoming More Visible
Back then, I noticed brands such as Camille Rose, Miss Jessie's, Oyin Handmade, Alikay Naturals, SheaMoisture, and other hair care lines gaining attention among naturalistas.
For years, women with naturally curly, coily, and kinky hair had shared tips, product recommendations, and styling techniques through blogs, forums, videos, and word of mouth.
We were learning from one another.
We were discussing ingredients.
We were experimenting with different routines.
And we were asking retailers to recognize our needs.
That shopping trip reminded me that the voices of natural hair consumers were being heard.
More shelf space didn't mean that every product would work for everyone, of course.
But having more choices was something worth celebrating!
From Limited Choices to More Possibilities
Fast-forward to 2026.
The natural hair care marketplace has changed tremendously since those early blogging days.
Today, shoppers may find cleansers, conditioners, leave-ins, curl creams, gels, mousses, oils, and specialized styling products from a wide variety of companies.
The internet has also made it easier to discover independent and small-batch brands.
But ladies, having more products available doesn't necessarily mean we need more products in our bathrooms!
And that's a lesson I've learned over the years.
More choices are wonderful, but understanding your own hair is even better.
What Works for One Naturalista May Not Work for Another
Have you ever purchased a product because someone had the most gorgeous curls imaginable?
You watched the demonstration.
You admired the results.
You bought the product.
And when you tried it on your own hair?
Absolutely NOTHING like you expected!
LOL!
Ladies, I've been there!
Our hair varies in strand thickness, density, porosity, curl pattern, and how it responds to different ingredients and styling methods.
For example, my own fine, lower-porosity natural hair often responds best when I avoid unnecessarily heavy layers of products.
I generally appreciate lightweight leave-ins and oils that fit comfortably into my routine.
But another naturalista may prefer richer creams or a completely different styling combination.
Neither approach is automatically wrong.
The secret is learning what works for your individual crown.
Before You Purchase Another Hair Product...
These days, I encourage my readers to think about a few things before adding something new to their collection.
Start with what your hair actually needs.
Are you trying to improve manageability, reduce tangling, find a suitable cleanser, or achieve a particular hairstyle?
Read the product directions and ingredient list.
A product designed for cleansing won't serve the same purpose as a styling gel or leave-in conditioner.
Consider your current routine.
Sometimes the answer isn't purchasing another product. It may be adjusting how you're using the products you already own.
Pay attention to your hair's response.
A product can be popular and still not be the right choice for you.
And ladies, don't feel obligated to follow every new natural hair trend!
Your hair doesn't need to keep up with social media.
It needs care that works for you.
Let's Celebrate Small Businesses, Too!
Another wonderful part of the natural hair movement is the creativity of independent entrepreneurs.
Many women began developing hair care products because they wanted alternatives that suited their own needs.
Some created oils.
Others developed conditioners, styling creams, and handmade treatments.
Many started by sharing products with family members, friends, and their communities.
As someone who appreciates natural hair care and small-business creativity, I understand how meaningful it can be to develop something with your own hands.
Supporting independent businesses can give consumers additional choices and encourage innovation.
Of course, whether we're purchasing from a major retailer or a small-batch maker, quality, clear labeling, safe formulations, and honest product information still matter.
A Word About Natural Hair Product Marketing
Ladies, one thing I've learned over the years is that not every product claim should be accepted at face value.
A product may promise longer hair, instant repair, or unbelievable curl definition.
But we should approach those promises with a little common sense.
Cosmetic products can help with cleansing, conditioning, lubrication, styling, and reducing some forms of mechanical damage.
However, no ordinary hair product can guarantee hair growth or permanently repair severely damaged strands.
Healthy hair care involves several factors, including gentle handling, appropriate conditioning, scalp health, and consistent routines.
And sometimes, less really is more!
My Final Thoughts: We've Come a Long Way!
Looking back at that Target shopping trip in 2015 makes me smile.
What seemed like a simple expansion of shelf space represented something much bigger to me.
It was another sign that natural hair consumers were becoming increasingly visible.
We wanted choices.
We wanted products designed with textured hair in mind.
And we wanted our beautiful curls, coils, and kinks to be recognized and celebrated.
Today, I'm grateful for the variety of products and resources available.
But I'm even more grateful for the knowledge and confidence that years of embracing natural hair can bring.
Because, ladies, the greatest discovery isn't always a new conditioner, gel, or leave-in.
Sometimes it's learning that we already have beautiful hair and simply need to understand how to care for it.
So, enjoy discovering new products.
Support businesses you believe in.
Experiment when you feel inspired.
But always remember:
Your crown doesn't need every product on the shelf to be beautiful!
Not sure whether your natural hair needs another product or simply a better routine? Visit my 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized article for practical tips on moisture and conditioning.
Have you ever wondered why one hair product works beautifully for someone else but not for you? Read my What Is Hair Porosity? article to better understand how your strands interact with moisture.
Looking for ways to put those leave-ins and styling products to work? Explore my Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go Guide for curl definition and styling ideas.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Now, I would love to hear from you!
Do you remember when finding natural hair products in major stores was difficult?
What was one of the first products you purchased when you began your natural hair journey?
And here's another question:
Do you prefer shopping for natural hair products in stores, online, or directly from small businesses?
Come on, ladies! Let's share our experiences in the comments.
Until next time, love your curls, embrace your coils, and celebrate every beautiful kink!
Happy Curls to You!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments
Post a Comment