Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Leave-In Conditioner: My Natural Hair Product Review
Soft, Shiny, Bouncy Curls — What I Loved and What I Learned
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published September 19, 2014 | Refreshed October 2026
Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕
Have you ever tried a hair product and thought, Where have you been all my natural hair journey?
Well, ladies, that was pretty much how I felt when I first tried Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Leave-In Conditioner!
Looking back at my original review from 2014, I remember how excited I was to find a product that made my natural hair feel soft, manageable, and beautifully conditioned.
As someone with fine, predominantly 3C/4A curls, I have always been particular about what I put on my hair. Some products are simply too heavy, while others seem to disappear before my curls have had a chance to benefit.
Finding the right balance can certainly be an adventure!
So today, we're revisiting this product, discussing my original experience, and sharing some lessons that remain useful for natural hair care.
First Impressions: A Little Slip Goes a Long Way!
One of the first things I noticed about this leave-in conditioner was its slip.
And ladies, if you have ever spent what seemed like an eternity detangling your natural hair, you understand why slip is important!
When I originally applied the product to freshly washed hair, my curls became easier to separate and manipulate.
I didn't feel as though I needed to use an enormous amount to achieve softness.
That was definitely a plus for my fine strands.
The product also had a mild fragrance that I found pleasant, which made the experience even more enjoyable.
Coconut Shea: What Makes This Leave-In Interesting?
The formula I reviewed in 2014 included ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera, and jojoba oil.
These ingredients are commonly used in conditioners and moisturizing hair products because they can help improve softness, manageability, and the feel of the hair.
However, a product's overall formula matters more than any single featured ingredient.
Two conditioners containing coconut oil or shea butter may perform very differently depending on their other ingredients and how they are formulated.
Also, formulas can change over time. If you're purchasing this product today, check the current packaging for the latest ingredient list.
How I Used the Conditioner in My Original Routine
At the time of my original review, I enjoyed refreshing my curls in the evening.
My routine involved lightly misting my hair, applying a leave-in conditioner, and dividing my strands into several loose twists to minimize tangling overnight.
The following morning, I would release the twists, gently arrange my curls, and prepare for the day.
This particular conditioner worked nicely with that routine.
My hair felt soft and manageable, and I appreciated how easily I could style it without starting the entire wash-day process again.
Today, I would make one adjustment to that old routine: rather than routinely sleeping with a plastic conditioning cap, I prefer recommending a satin bonnet or scarf for ordinary overnight protection. If you dampen your hair at night, allow enough drying time and avoid keeping your scalp persistently wet.
What I Loved About Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea
Several things stood out during my original experience.
1. Beautiful softness
My curls felt conditioned and pleasant to the touch rather than stiff.
2. Easier detangling
The slip made it easier to work through my strands gently.
3. Manageable second- and third-day hair
I could refresh and arrange my curls without completely restarting my styling routine.
4. A pleasant fragrance
I enjoyed the scent without finding it overwhelming.
5. A little product went a long way
Because my strands are fine, I particularly appreciated not needing a large amount.
What Didn't Work Quite as Well?
No product works perfectly for everyone, and I did discover one drawback.
Using too much could leave my hair feeling sticky or overly coated.
That is an important reminder for anyone with fine natural hair.
Sometimes we assume that if a little conditioner works well, adding more will make our curls even softer.
Not necessarily, ladies!
Depending on your hair's density, strand thickness, and the products already in your routine, excess conditioner can create a heavy or coated feeling.
My advice? Start with a small amount, distribute it evenly, and add more only where needed.
Is This a Good Leave-In for Fine, Low-Porosity Hair?
As someone who has learned quite a bit about my fine, low-porosity strands, I have discovered that lightweight application is often more important than loading my hair with multiple products.
Low-porosity hair can sometimes be prone to noticeable product buildup, especially when rich styling products are layered repeatedly.
But that doesn't mean everyone with low-porosity hair must avoid oils, butters, or creamy leave-ins.
What matters is how your hair responds.
I would suggest applying a small amount to clean, damp hair and observing how your strands feel after drying.
If your curls feel soft, flexible, and manageable, that's a good sign the product may be working well in your routine.
If they feel sticky, weighed down, or coated, you may need less product or a different formula.
Would I Repurchase It?
When I wrote my original review back in 2014, my answer was an enthusiastic YES!
I was pleased enough with the results that I considered making room for more Eden BodyWorks products in my hair care collection.
Now, looking back, I appreciate that review for another reason.
It reminds me that building a successful natural hair routine is not necessarily about finding the most expensive products.
Sometimes it's about discovering what your particular strands enjoy and learning how to use those products effectively.
Of course, my 2014 experience is not a guarantee that today's formulation will perform exactly the same way.
My Final Thoughts: Listen to Your Hair!
Ladies, after years of experimenting with conditioners, oils, leave-ins, and styling products, one lesson continues to stand out:
Your hair will often tell you what it needs if you take the time to pay attention.
The products that work beautifully for someone else's curls may not necessarily be the right choice for yours.
And that's perfectly fine!
Whether your hair is fine, thick, low porosity, high porosity, loosely curled, or tightly coiled, understanding its individual needs is more valuable than following every new product trend.
Choose products thoughtfully, maintain a consistent routine, and don't be afraid to adjust as your hair changes.
Most importantly, remember that your beautiful crown deserves patience, attention, and love.
More From Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Want to build a better moisture routine? Read my 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized article for practical moisturizing and conditioning tips.
Wondering why some conditioners work beautifully for one person but not another? Explore What Is Hair Porosity? for a closer look at how your strands interact with moisture.
Looking for beautifully defined curls without weighing down your hair? Visit The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go Guide for styling tips and ideas.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Have you ever tried Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Leave-In Conditioner?
Did you love the softness, or did you find the formula too rich for your hair?
And here's another question:
Do you prefer lightweight, liquid leave-ins or richer, creamy conditioners?
Share your experiences in the comments! I always enjoy hearing what works for your beautiful curls and coils.
Until next time, love your curls, embrace your coils, and celebrate every beautiful kink!
Happy Curls to You! 💕
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments
Post a Comment