Terressentials Organic Mud Wash Review: My Natural Hair Cleansing Experience
Originally published March 9, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Can You Really Wash Natural Hair With Mud?
Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!
Over the years, I've experimented with numerous products in my quest to discover what works best for my natural hair.
And ladies, sometimes the most surprising products deliver the most memorable results!
One of those discoveries was Terressentials Organic Mud Wash, a clay-based alternative to traditional shampoo.
Yes, you read that correctly. Mud!
When I first began researching this product in 2013, I wondered whether something made with clay could actually cleanse my hair while leaving my curls soft, manageable, and moisturized.
After watching natural hair demonstrations, reading product reviews, and researching the ingredients, my curiosity continued to grow.
There was just one problem: I wasn't particularly excited about paying nearly nine dollars for an eight-ounce bottle without knowing whether my hair would like it.
Then something unexpected happened.
A Little Gift From a Coworker
One Friday afternoon, a coworker invited me over to her cubicle.
When I arrived, she reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle of Terressentials Organic Left Coast Lemon Mud Wash.
She had enough product left for approximately two washes and offered to share it with me.
Ladies, you can imagine my excitement!
I had spent months considering this very product, and now I finally had an opportunity to try it without purchasing a full bottle.
That Saturday morning, I headed straight to the shower.
It was time to put this mud wash to the test!
What Is Terressentials Organic Mud Wash?
Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash is a clay-based hair cleanser formulated with ingredients such as aloe vera, bentonite clay, botanical extracts, and, depending on the variety, essential oils.
Unlike traditional shampoo, this cleanser doesn't produce a foamy lather.
Instead, the clay helps remove some oil and residue from the hair as the product is worked through the scalp and strands, then rinsed away.
At the time, this was a fascinating concept for me because I had become accustomed to traditional shampooing and co-washing.
The thought of cleansing my curls with mud was certainly something different!
My First Experience With Left Coast Lemon Mud Wash
Now, let's talk about the application.
I have fine 3C/4A natural hair, and my curls can become elongated when thoroughly saturated with water.
During my first application, I decided not to section my hair.
Looking back, sectioning would have made it easier to distribute the product evenly, but I was eager to see how it would perform.
How I Applied the Mud Wash
First, I thoroughly saturated my hair with warm water.
Next, I applied approximately one tablespoon of Terressentials Organic Left Coast Lemon Mud Wash to my hair, concentrating on my scalp and working the product along my strands.
I gently massaged and distributed the mud for approximately five minutes.
And ladies, that's when things began to get interesting!
I could actually feel the consistency of the mud against my curls.
My hair became noticeably curly and elongated while the weight of the wet product helped stretch my strands.
Then came the moment of truth.
I thoroughly rinsed my hair.
The Results: Soft, Shiny, Beautiful Curls!
Oh, my goodness!
I could hardly believe how my hair felt after rinsing.
My curls were soft, elongated, beautifully defined, and shiny.
I was genuinely surprised!
My strands felt so comfortable that, during this particular wash, I didn't feel the need to apply a leave-in conditioner before proceeding with my styling product.
Now, I want to emphasize something important: this was my personal experience at that particular time.
Another naturalista might prefer to follow a clay wash with a moisturizing conditioner, especially if her hair feels dry, tangles easily, or has been color-treated.
Our crowns have different needs, and that's perfectly fine!
The Five Terressentials Mud Wash Varieties I Explored
When I wrote my original review, Terressentials offered five varieties of its Pure Earth Hair Wash.
They were:
1. Lavender Garden
A clay-based cleanser with aloe vera, botanical extracts, and an aromatic blend featuring lavender and other essential oils.
2. Cool Mint
A refreshing variety with peppermint and spearmint essential oils.
3. Left Coast Lemon
The formula I personally tried. It featured a citrus-inspired essential-oil blend, and I was particularly impressed by the results on my curls.
4. Sultry Spice
A warmer aromatic blend incorporating essential oils such as patchouli, cedar, and spice notes.
5. Fragrance-Free
An option without added essential-oil fragrance, although individual ingredient sensitivities are still possible.
These descriptions reflect the product line I discussed historically. Readers should review current ingredient labels before making a purchase because formulations and packaging can change.
What I Loved About This Mud Wash
Looking back at my original review, several things stood out.
Beautiful Curl Definition
The product left my curls looking defined without requiring the heavy styling products I had sometimes relied upon.
Softness and Shine
I loved how soft my hair felt after rinsing.
For me, this was one of the greatest surprises of the entire experience.
A Different Cleansing Experience
Using a cleanser without traditional foam took some getting used to, but it encouraged me to pay attention to how my hair actually felt rather than measuring cleanliness by the amount of lather.
A Pleasant Fragrance
I enjoyed the Left Coast Lemon scent and appreciated that it wasn't overwhelming during my experience.
What I Didn't Love
Of course, every product has its drawbacks.
Application Can Be Messy
Ladies, we're talking about mud!
The product required careful application, and cleanup was definitely part of the experience.
There's a Learning Curve
Unlike a conventional shampoo, this cleanser doesn't lather. It can take practice to determine how much to use and how thoroughly to distribute and rinse it.
Cost Was a Consideration
When I originally reviewed the product in 2013, pricing and shipping costs were among my concerns.
Those old prices no longer represent today's market, so I recommend checking the manufacturer's current information rather than relying on historical figures.
Results Can Vary
Although my curls felt wonderfully soft, a clay wash may leave other hair types feeling different.
Some people may experience dryness, tangling, or residue if the product isn't well suited to their hair or isn't rinsed thoroughly.
Do You Really Need to Detox Your Hair?
One recommendation that appeared in the original product information involved a special cleansing or "detox" process when beginning to use the mud wash.
I want to clarify this for my readers today.
Hair products can leave buildup, and appropriate cleansing can help remove it. However, hair doesn't need to be medically detoxified from ordinary styling products.
Silicones and other conditioning ingredients aren't automatically harmful. Their effects depend on the formulation, the individual's hair, and how the products are used.
You don't have to abandon every traditional conditioner or styling product simply because you're experimenting with a clay-based cleanser.
Choose the products that keep your own hair clean, comfortable, conditioned, and manageable.
My Tips for Trying a Clay-Based Hair Cleanser
If you're curious about using a mud wash, here are a few suggestions based on what I've learned about caring for textured natural hair.
Start with a small amount and follow the manufacturer's current directions.
Work in sections if your hair is thick, dense, long, or prone to tangling.
Avoid vigorous rubbing, which can encourage knots and mechanical damage.
Rinse thoroughly to remove the clay.
Follow with a conditioner or leave-in if your strands need additional softness and slip.
Discontinue use if you experience irritation, unusual dryness, or discomfort.
Remember, natural ingredients are not automatically suitable for everyone. Essential oils and botanical extracts can also cause sensitivity.
Would I Recommend Terressentials Organic Mud Wash?
In 2013, my answer was an enthusiastic yes!
I genuinely loved the results of that first Left Coast Lemon Mud Wash experience.
My hair felt soft, shiny, and beautifully defined, and I considered it one of my favorite cleansing discoveries at the time.
Looking back today, I still appreciate what the experience taught me.
It reminded me that beautiful natural hair care isn't always about using the most expensive product or following the most complicated routine.
Sometimes, exploring a different cleansing method can teach us something valuable about our own strands.
However, this remains a historical review, not a claim that I've recently retested the current formulation.
Continue Your Natural Hair Journey
If you're exploring ways to cleanse, moisturize, and care for your natural curls, take a look at these related articles from Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks.
1. What Is Hair Porosity? Understanding How Your Hair Absorbs Moisture
Understanding how your hair behaves with water and conditioning products can help you develop a more effective hair-care routine.
2. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized
Discover practical ways to maintain moisture and improve the everyday manageability of your natural curls.
3. What Does 3C and 4A Natural Hair Really Look Like?
Learn more about curl patterns and why understanding your individual strands matters more than simply choosing a hair-type label.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Have you ever washed your hair with a clay-based cleanser?
Did your curls love the experience, or did you prefer your regular shampoo and conditioner?
I'd love to hear about the products and techniques that have surprised you along your natural hair journey!
And remember, beautiful natural hair care is never one-size-fits-all.
Every coil, every kink, and every curl deserves to be celebrated!
Happy Curls to You, My Friend!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.
![]() |


Comments
Post a Comment