Curls Unleashed “Set It Off” Curl Boosting Jelly Review: Soft, Bouncy Natural Curls Without the Crunch!


Originally Published: July 25, 2012 | Refreshed October 2026

By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

Ladies, My Curls Were Finally Moving!

Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!

Have you ever tried a styling gel that gave you beautiful curl definition but left your hair so stiff that you could barely move it?

Oh, ladies, I certainly have!

As someone who loves wearing her natural curls in a wash-and-go, I've always appreciated a product that offers definition, shine, and frizz control without making my hair feel hard or crunchy.

And when I originally discovered Curls Unleashed “Set It Off” Curl Boosting Jelly back in July 2012, I was pleasantly surprised!

In fact, I remember being so excited about the results that I couldn't stop talking about how my curls actually moved!

Yes, ladies—moved!

For someone who had experimented with numerous gels and styling products, that was a wonderful discovery.

Let's revisit my experience with this natural hair styling product and discuss what made it so memorable.

Discovering Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Jelly

Before trying the Curl Boosting Jelly, I had already purchased Curls Unleashed Defining Crème.

I really enjoyed that product because it complemented my natural curl pattern, which ranged from approximately 3B to 4A.

However, the defining cream didn't offer the styling hold I was looking for.

My curls felt lovely, but I wanted a little more control over frizz and enough hold to help maintain my wash-and-go throughout the day.

That's when I decided to experiment with the Curl Boosting Jelly.

I purchased my jar from Duane Reade, hoping it would give me the definition I wanted while keeping my strands soft and touchable.

And ladies, I was not disappointed!

What Was the Product Designed to Do?

The original Curl Boosting Jelly was marketed as a styling product intended to define curls, control frizz, and provide flexible hold without leaving the hair feeling excessively hard.

Its formula included ingredients such as aloe vera, glycerin, panthenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and conditioning polymers.

The idea was appealing to me because I wanted a product that complemented my natural curls rather than making them feel stiff.

And for my hair, the finished results were especially satisfying.

A Closer Look at the Ingredients

Ladies, let's spend a little time talking about the ingredients.

One of the things I've learned throughout my natural hair journey is that the way an ingredient performs depends on the entire formulation.

A product doesn't have to be made exclusively from botanical ingredients to work well for someone's natural hair.

Here are a few ingredients listed in the version I originally reviewed.

Glycerin

Glycerin is a humectant used to help manage moisture in hair-care formulations.

My hair has often responded well to glycerin-based products, although results can vary depending on humidity and the other ingredients in the formula.

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is commonly included in cosmetic products for its conditioning and skin-feel properties.

It can contribute to a pleasant product texture, but its presence alone doesn't guarantee moisture retention or curl definition.

Panthenol

Also known as provitamin B5, panthenol is used in hair-care products to help condition the strands and improve their feel.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed wheat protein may contribute to film-forming and conditioning effects in some hair products.

However, ladies, keep in mind that protein-containing products aren't automatically better for everyone.

Your results depend on your hair and the formulation.

Conditioning Polymers and Silicones

The 2012 formulation also contained ingredients such as polyquaternium-11 and certain silicones.

These ingredients can help with styling, lubrication, and the feel of the hair.

Silicones aren't inherently harmful to natural hair, but some products may require an appropriate cleansing routine to manage buildup.

And remember, not all silicones behave the same way.

For me, the real test was how the product performed after application.

How I Applied the Curl Boosting Jelly

Now, ladies, let's get into the details!

At the time of my original review, I was an avid wash-and-go wearer.

My hair had already been co-washed, and I had applied TRESemmé Naturals conditioner as a leave-in.

I also used shea butter as part of my routine.

After lightly dampening my strands, I placed approximately two quarter-sized amounts of the Curl Boosting Jelly into my palms and distributed the product throughout my hair.

One of the first things I noticed was how smoothly it glided over my curls.

I didn't have to struggle to spread it through the hair.

The jelly also had a light, tropical fragrance that I found pleasant.

Almost immediately, my hair began to look shiny and well-defined.

And unlike some other gels I had tried, the product didn't feel particularly tacky during application.

So far, so good!

My Results: Softness, Shine, and Beautiful Movement

Ladies, this is the part of the review that still makes me smile!

Once my hair dried, the results were wonderful.

I had curl definition.

I had shine.

I had less noticeable frizz.

But what excited me the most was the softness and movement.

For the first time in quite a while, I could actually shake my curls and see them bounce!

My strands weren't stiff or crunchy.

They felt soft, pliable, and comfortable.

And that's exactly what I had been hoping to achieve with my wash-and-go.

I also noticed that my hair appeared less shrunken than with some of the other styling products I had tried.

Of course, a styling product doesn't permanently change the natural shrinkage of textured hair, but differences in curl clumping and product weight can affect how long or compact the finished style appears.

For my 3B–4A curls, the result was especially flattering.

And ladies, I absolutely loved it!

What I Loved About Curls Unleashed “Set It Off”

There were several reasons this product became one of my favorites during that period of my natural hair journey.

Soft, touchable curls: My hair didn't dry into a hard, uncomfortable cast.

Beautiful movement: I could shake my hair and see my curls bounce naturally.

Attractive shine: My curls looked glossy without appearing excessively greasy.

Frizz control: The product helped reduce visible frizz throughout my original test day.

Lightweight hold: It offered enough control for my desired style without making my hair feel rigid.

Easy application: The jelly spread smoothly through my damp strands.

Less apparent shrinkage: My curls looked more elongated with this particular styling combination.

A pleasant fragrance: I enjoyed the light tropical scent.

And, ladies, perhaps the best part was that I didn't need an excessive amount of product to achieve my desired look.

Were There Any Drawbacks?

In my original review, I had very few complaints.

The main concern I mentioned was that the formula contained synthetic ingredients rather than being an exclusively plant-based product.

Looking back, I would approach that differently today.

The presence of laboratory-made cosmetic ingredients doesn't automatically mean a product is unsuitable for natural hair.

What matters is the product's safety, formulation, compatibility with your hair, and how it performs when used as directed.

It's also worth remembering that a product that works beautifully for me may not produce identical results for every naturalista.

Hair density, strand thickness, porosity, curl structure, product layering, and styling techniques can all affect the outcome.

And, as always, fragrance-sensitive individuals should pay attention to scented hair-care products.

How to Get Better Results With a Soft-Hold Styling Jelly

If you enjoy products designed to provide flexible curl definition, here are a few tips worth considering.

Start With Clean, Conditioned Hair

A good foundation can make styling easier.

Use a shampoo and conditioner appropriate for your hair and scalp.

Apply to Damp Hair

Many curl-defining products distribute more easily through damp strands.

Work in sections when needed to encourage even coverage.

Avoid Excessive Product Layering

Using too many creams, oils, and gels together may leave some hair types feeling coated or sticky.

Begin with a modest amount and adjust according to the results.

Allow Your Hair to Dry

Give your curls adequate drying time before disturbing them.

This can help preserve definition and reduce unnecessary frizz.

Refresh Gently

When refreshing your wash-and-go, try to work with your existing curl pattern rather than repeatedly combing through your hair.

Sometimes less manipulation gives the most beautiful results!

Would I Purchase It Again?

When I originally wrote this review in July 2012, my answer was an enthusiastic YES!

In fact, I was so impressed that I considered the Curl Boosting Jelly one of my holy-grail styling products at the time.

And ladies, I meant it!

I loved that my hair could feel conditioned, look beautifully defined, and still move naturally.

It was a reminder that curl definition doesn't always require stiff hair.

Sometimes the finish we want is simply soft, shiny, bouncy, and full of life.

A Note About This Archival Product Review

This article documents my personal experience with Curls Unleashed “Set It Off” Curl Boosting Jelly in July 2012.

Although the product name still appears in some retailer catalogs, its packaging, formulation, price, and availability may differ today.

The results described here reflect my experience with the product I used at that time.

The original photographs and observations remain part of my natural hair journey.

Continue Your Natural Hair Journey

Ladies, if you love defined curls without excessive stiffness, here are three more Crowning Glory articles you'll enjoy.

1. The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!

Learn styling techniques for encouraging defined, manageable natural curls.

2. Combating Frizz: Why Your Natural Hair Gets Frizzy & How to Keep Your Curls Beautifully Defined

Explore frizz control, humidity, and gentle curl-care practices.

3. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

Discover practical moisturizing tips for maintaining softness and manageability.

Let's Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever tried Curls Unleashed “Set It Off” Curl Boosting Jelly?

Did it give your natural hair the same softness, shine, and bounce that I experienced?

And here's another question:

Do you prefer a flexible styling gel that keeps your curls soft, or a stronger gel that forms a cast you can scrunch out afterward?

I'd love to hear your experiences!

Remember, my beautiful naturalistas:

Our natural curls were made to be celebrated—not hidden, flattened, or forced into someone else's definition of beauty.

Until next time…

Happy Curls to You, My Friend!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.









Hair with Curls Unleashed "Set It Off"Curling Gelly


Comments

  1. I just discovered this line and I love the curl defining creme but I find it a bit to heavy for my hair. The leave in conditioner on it's own does nothing for me. If you had to choose between this and the creme which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Jeneille,

    I use the Curl Defining Creme and The Set It Off Jelly in conjunction with each other. However, my have texture is 3b/3c/4 type and requires a creamy base or butter styling product to deter frizz and maintain moisture.

    If you are a 4a-type, I would replace the leave-in with a regular leave-in and change the styler. If you are a 3c-type, replace the leave-in and modify the amount of curling creme that you use.

    Let me know how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose