Rice Water for Natural Hair: My Personal Challenge, Results & What You Should Know
My rice water challenge for natural hair: how I prepared it, the results I noticed, updated safety tips, and what science says about hair growth.
My Rice Water Challenge — Revisiting a popular DIY natural hair treatment and the results I experienced.
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
From the Crowning Glory Archives — Revisiting My Rice Water Challenge
Hello, my beautiful naturalistas!
Have you ever heard about a natural hair treatment that sounded so promising you simply had to try it for yourself?
Well, ladies, that's exactly what happened when I discovered the rice water challenge!
As someone who enjoys researching natural hair care methods, trying new products, and discovering ways to keep my curls healthy, I became intrigued by the growing excitement surrounding rice water.
Women were talking about stronger hair, fewer knots, increased shine, and even improved hair growth.
Naturally, my curiosity got the best of me!
I wanted to know whether something as simple and inexpensive as rice water could make a noticeable difference in the condition of my natural hair.
So, I decided to take the challenge!
And today, I'm revisiting that experience, sharing what I noticed, and discussing what we now know about this popular DIY hair treatment.
Hello, my beautiful naturalistas!
Have you ever heard about a natural hair treatment that sounded so promising you simply had to try it for yourself?
Well, ladies, that's exactly what happened when I discovered the rice water challenge!
As someone who enjoys researching natural hair care methods, trying new products, and discovering ways to keep my curls healthy, I became intrigued by the growing excitement surrounding rice water.
Women were talking about stronger hair, fewer knots, increased shine, and even improved hair growth.
Naturally, my curiosity got the best of me!
I wanted to know whether something as simple and inexpensive as rice water could make a noticeable difference in the condition of my natural hair.
So, I decided to take the challenge!
And today, I'm revisiting that experience, sharing what I noticed, and discussing what we now know about this popular DIY hair treatment.
What Exactly Is Rice Water?
Rice water is the cloudy liquid produced when rice is soaked or rinsed in water.
As the rice sits in the water, some of its starches and other water-soluble compounds are released into the liquid.
Rice water has a long history of use in traditional beauty routines, particularly in parts of Asia.
In recent years, it has also attracted attention throughout the natural hair community.
Why?
Because many naturalistas began experimenting with rice water rinses in hopes of improving the appearance, manageability, and overall condition of their hair.
But here's something important to understand:
Rice water is not a scientifically proven miracle treatment for hair growth.
Although laboratory research has explored certain rice-derived compounds, there is limited clinical evidence demonstrating that homemade rice water rinses make human hair grow faster, repair damaged strands, or prevent hair loss.
That doesn't mean everyone who enjoys using rice water is imagining the results.
It simply means we should separate personal experience from scientifically established benefits.
And that's exactly what I want to do with this article.
Rice water is the cloudy liquid produced when rice is soaked or rinsed in water.
As the rice sits in the water, some of its starches and other water-soluble compounds are released into the liquid.
Rice water has a long history of use in traditional beauty routines, particularly in parts of Asia.
In recent years, it has also attracted attention throughout the natural hair community.
Why?
Because many naturalistas began experimenting with rice water rinses in hopes of improving the appearance, manageability, and overall condition of their hair.
But here's something important to understand:
Rice water is not a scientifically proven miracle treatment for hair growth.
Although laboratory research has explored certain rice-derived compounds, there is limited clinical evidence demonstrating that homemade rice water rinses make human hair grow faster, repair damaged strands, or prevent hair loss.
That doesn't mean everyone who enjoys using rice water is imagining the results.
It simply means we should separate personal experience from scientifically established benefits.
And that's exactly what I want to do with this article.
Why I Decided to Try Rice Water
When I originally researched rice water, I came across discussions about inositol, a compound naturally associated with rice.
Some sources suggested that rice-derived ingredients could help reduce friction between hair strands and improve manageability.
Now, ladies, that caught my attention!
As naturalistas, we know how important gentle detangling and reducing unnecessary breakage can be.
And if there was a simple treatment that might help my strands feel stronger or easier to manage, I was willing to investigate.
I didn't want to rely only on the excitement surrounding the treatment.
I wanted to see how my own hair responded.
So I gathered my rice, water, and a container and began experimenting.
When I originally researched rice water, I came across discussions about inositol, a compound naturally associated with rice.
Some sources suggested that rice-derived ingredients could help reduce friction between hair strands and improve manageability.
Now, ladies, that caught my attention!
As naturalistas, we know how important gentle detangling and reducing unnecessary breakage can be.
And if there was a simple treatment that might help my strands feel stronger or easier to manage, I was willing to investigate.
I didn't want to rely only on the excitement surrounding the treatment.
I wanted to see how my own hair responded.
So I gathered my rice, water, and a container and began experimenting.
My Original Rice Water Challenge
When I first started my challenge, I used a simple method.
I placed a handful of uncooked rice into a container, rinsed the rice, and added clean, cool water.
I then covered the container and allowed the rice to soak overnight.
By the next day, the water appeared cloudy.
I also noticed that leaving the mixture sitting could eventually produce a fermented smell.
At the time, I had read that some people added orange peel or aloe vera to change the scent.
However, looking back, I recognize that unpleasant odors can also signal unwanted microbial activity.
An important update: I no longer recommend leaving homemade rice water fermenting overnight at room temperature. Homemade mixtures are not preserved or microbiologically tested, and adding fragrant ingredients does not make them safer.
For anyone interested in experimenting with rice water today, I would recommend a freshly prepared, short-soak version instead.
When I first started my challenge, I used a simple method.
I placed a handful of uncooked rice into a container, rinsed the rice, and added clean, cool water.
I then covered the container and allowed the rice to soak overnight.
By the next day, the water appeared cloudy.
I also noticed that leaving the mixture sitting could eventually produce a fermented smell.
At the time, I had read that some people added orange peel or aloe vera to change the scent.
However, looking back, I recognize that unpleasant odors can also signal unwanted microbial activity.
An important update: I no longer recommend leaving homemade rice water fermenting overnight at room temperature. Homemade mixtures are not preserved or microbiologically tested, and adding fragrant ingredients does not make them safer.
For anyone interested in experimenting with rice water today, I would recommend a freshly prepared, short-soak version instead.
How to Prepare a Simple Rice Water Rinse
If you're curious about trying this treatment, here's a more cautious approach.
What you'll need:
2 tablespoons of uncooked rice
1 cup of clean drinking water
A clean bowl or container
A strainer
A clean applicator bottle, if desired
If you're curious about trying this treatment, here's a more cautious approach.
What you'll need:
2 tablespoons of uncooked rice
1 cup of clean drinking water
A clean bowl or container
A strainer
A clean applicator bottle, if desired
Step 1: Rinse Your Rice
Begin by rinsing the uncooked rice thoroughly to remove surface dust and debris.
Begin by rinsing the uncooked rice thoroughly to remove surface dust and debris.
Step 2: Add Fresh Water
Place the rinsed rice into a clean bowl and add approximately one cup of fresh drinking water.
Place the rinsed rice into a clean bowl and add approximately one cup of fresh drinking water.
Step 3: Allow It to Soak Briefly
Let the rice soak for approximately 15–30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The water may become cloudy as some of the rice starch disperses into it.
Let the rice soak for approximately 15–30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The water may become cloudy as some of the rice starch disperses into it.
Step 4: Strain the Liquid
Remove the rice and transfer the liquid to a clean container.
Remove the rice and transfer the liquid to a clean container.
Step 5: Use It Promptly
Prepare only enough rice water for one application and discard any remaining mixture. Avoid storing it for extended periods or intentionally fermenting it.
Remember, a homemade rice water rinse is not sterile or preserved. Stop using it if it develops an unusual odor or appearance.
Prepare only enough rice water for one application and discard any remaining mixture. Avoid storing it for extended periods or intentionally fermenting it.
Remember, a homemade rice water rinse is not sterile or preserved. Stop using it if it develops an unusual odor or appearance.
How I Applied Rice Water to My Natural Hair
During my original challenge, I incorporated rice water into my regular wash-day routine.
I generally washed my hair first and rinsed it with warm water.
Then I applied the rice water to my strands.
Sometimes I poured it directly over my hair from a jar or bottle.
Other times, I used a spray bottle to distribute the liquid.
After applying it, I rinsed my hair.
My original routine included using rice water approximately once a week, which was also how often I typically shampooed my hair.
Today, I would encourage anyone trying it for the first time to be more conservative.
You might begin with a single short-contact rinse after shampooing, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water and your usual conditioner.
Avoid applying it to an irritated or damaged scalp. If you experience itching, irritation, unusual stiffness, or excessive tangling, discontinue use.
And remember, there is no established research-based frequency for homemade rice water treatments.
Your hair's response should help guide whether the experiment is worth continuing.
During my original challenge, I incorporated rice water into my regular wash-day routine.
I generally washed my hair first and rinsed it with warm water.
Then I applied the rice water to my strands.
Sometimes I poured it directly over my hair from a jar or bottle.
Other times, I used a spray bottle to distribute the liquid.
After applying it, I rinsed my hair.
My original routine included using rice water approximately once a week, which was also how often I typically shampooed my hair.
Today, I would encourage anyone trying it for the first time to be more conservative.
You might begin with a single short-contact rinse after shampooing, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water and your usual conditioner.
Avoid applying it to an irritated or damaged scalp. If you experience itching, irritation, unusual stiffness, or excessive tangling, discontinue use.
And remember, there is no established research-based frequency for homemade rice water treatments.
Your hair's response should help guide whether the experiment is worth continuing.
What I Personally Noticed
Now, ladies, this is the part that made the challenge interesting!
After incorporating rice water into my routine, I began noticing some changes in how my hair looked and felt.
Here is what I documented in my original article.
Now, ladies, this is the part that made the challenge interesting!
After incorporating rice water into my routine, I began noticing some changes in how my hair looked and felt.
Here is what I documented in my original article.
1. My Strands Felt Stronger
One of the first things I noticed was that my hair seemed to feel stronger.
I appreciated the way my strands behaved during handling and styling.
Of course, the sensation of stronger hair doesn't necessarily mean the internal structure has been repaired, but it was a noticeable part of my personal experience.
One of the first things I noticed was that my hair seemed to feel stronger.
I appreciated the way my strands behaved during handling and styling.
Of course, the sensation of stronger hair doesn't necessarily mean the internal structure has been repaired, but it was a noticeable part of my personal experience.
2. I Experienced Fewer Single-Strand Knots
Now, if you're a naturalista, you know how frustrating those little fairy knots can be!
During my challenge, I noticed fewer single-strand knots.
I can't say with certainty that rice water alone caused the change, because conditioning, detangling, styling, and trimming habits can all influence knot formation.
Nevertheless, it was one of the improvements I recorded.
Now, if you're a naturalista, you know how frustrating those little fairy knots can be!
During my challenge, I noticed fewer single-strand knots.
I can't say with certainty that rice water alone caused the change, because conditioning, detangling, styling, and trimming habits can all influence knot formation.
Nevertheless, it was one of the improvements I recorded.
3. My Hair Appeared Shinier
Who doesn't appreciate beautiful, healthy-looking shine?
My hair appeared to have more sheen during the period when I was using rice water.
That was another observation that encouraged me to continue experimenting.
Who doesn't appreciate beautiful, healthy-looking shine?
My hair appeared to have more sheen during the period when I was using rice water.
That was another observation that encouraged me to continue experimenting.
4. I Noticed More Length
I also documented what appeared to be increased hair length.
However, I want to make an important distinction.
Length retention and faster hair growth are not the same thing.
Hair may appear longer because of less breakage, reduced tangling, different styling techniques, or less shrinkage.
Without controlled measurements, I couldn't determine whether rice water affected growth itself.
Still, at the time, I was pleased with the changes I observed.
I also documented what appeared to be increased hair length.
However, I want to make an important distinction.
Length retention and faster hair growth are not the same thing.
Hair may appear longer because of less breakage, reduced tangling, different styling techniques, or less shrinkage.
Without controlled measurements, I couldn't determine whether rice water affected growth itself.
Still, at the time, I was pleased with the changes I observed.
Is Rice Water Good for Every Natural Hair Texture?
Not necessarily!
One lesson I've learned over the years is that natural hair care is never one-size-fits-all.
Whether your hair is 3C, 4A, 4B, 4C, or a combination of textures, your curl pattern alone doesn't determine how your hair will respond to a treatment.
Strand thickness, porosity, hair condition, and styling habits also matter.
For example, my hair is fine and low porosity.
I've learned that products and treatments that leave deposits on my strands can sometimes make my hair feel coated, stiff, or less manageable.
Because rice water contains starch, it may not produce the same experience for everyone.
If your hair feels rough, tangled, or unusually stiff after using it, that is a reason to stop rather than continuing in hopes of achieving someone else's results.
And please don't assume that more treatments automatically mean healthier hair.
Sometimes the simplest routines work best!
Not necessarily!
One lesson I've learned over the years is that natural hair care is never one-size-fits-all.
Whether your hair is 3C, 4A, 4B, 4C, or a combination of textures, your curl pattern alone doesn't determine how your hair will respond to a treatment.
Strand thickness, porosity, hair condition, and styling habits also matter.
For example, my hair is fine and low porosity.
I've learned that products and treatments that leave deposits on my strands can sometimes make my hair feel coated, stiff, or less manageable.
Because rice water contains starch, it may not produce the same experience for everyone.
If your hair feels rough, tangled, or unusually stiff after using it, that is a reason to stop rather than continuing in hopes of achieving someone else's results.
And please don't assume that more treatments automatically mean healthier hair.
Sometimes the simplest routines work best!
Rice Water vs. Regular Conditioning: Which Is Better?
Here's something I want to emphasize.
Rice water should never replace a dependable hair care routine.
Regular cleansing, appropriate conditioning, gentle detangling, and protecting your strands from unnecessary friction remain important.
A well-formulated conditioner is designed to improve properties such as softness, lubrication, and combability.
Homemade rice water, on the other hand, varies in concentration and composition every time you make it.
That makes its results less predictable.
If you enjoy experimenting with natural ingredients, think of rice water as an optional addition to your routine rather than an essential step.
And if your regular products are already giving you healthy, manageable curls, there is no reason to feel pressured to change everything!
Here's something I want to emphasize.
Rice water should never replace a dependable hair care routine.
Regular cleansing, appropriate conditioning, gentle detangling, and protecting your strands from unnecessary friction remain important.
A well-formulated conditioner is designed to improve properties such as softness, lubrication, and combability.
Homemade rice water, on the other hand, varies in concentration and composition every time you make it.
That makes its results less predictable.
If you enjoy experimenting with natural ingredients, think of rice water as an optional addition to your routine rather than an essential step.
And if your regular products are already giving you healthy, manageable curls, there is no reason to feel pressured to change everything!
Would I Try the Rice Water Challenge Again?
Looking back at my original experience, I can understand why I was so excited about the rice water challenge.
I noticed improvements that I appreciated, and I enjoyed exploring a simple DIY hair care technique.
But as I've continued learning about natural hair, I've also become more mindful of the difference between traditional beauty practices, personal experiences, and scientific evidence.
Would I consider trying a freshly prepared rice water rinse again?
Possibly!
But I would approach it with realistic expectations, careful preparation, and attention to how my hair responds.
Most importantly, I would not depend on rice water to stimulate hair growth or repair damaged hair.
Healthy hair care involves much more than one ingredient.
Looking back at my original experience, I can understand why I was so excited about the rice water challenge.
I noticed improvements that I appreciated, and I enjoyed exploring a simple DIY hair care technique.
But as I've continued learning about natural hair, I've also become more mindful of the difference between traditional beauty practices, personal experiences, and scientific evidence.
Would I consider trying a freshly prepared rice water rinse again?
Possibly!
But I would approach it with realistic expectations, careful preparation, and attention to how my hair responds.
Most importantly, I would not depend on rice water to stimulate hair growth or repair damaged hair.
Healthy hair care involves much more than one ingredient.
My Final Thoughts: Listen to Your Hair!
Ladies, if there is one message I want you to take away from my rice water experience, it's this:
Your natural hair journey is about discovering what works for YOUR crown.
What worked for me during my original challenge might not work the same way for you.
And that's perfectly okay!
One woman's favorite DIY treatment may be another woman's reason to reach for her trusted conditioner.
Don't be afraid to learn, experiment carefully, and make adjustments along the way.
But never feel that you must follow every trending beauty treatment to have healthy, beautiful natural hair.
Sometimes the best thing we can do is return to the basics:
Water, conditioning, gentle handling, consistency, and patience.
Your curls, coils, and kinks deserve that kind of care.
Ladies, if there is one message I want you to take away from my rice water experience, it's this:
Your natural hair journey is about discovering what works for YOUR crown.
What worked for me during my original challenge might not work the same way for you.
And that's perfectly okay!
One woman's favorite DIY treatment may be another woman's reason to reach for her trusted conditioner.
Don't be afraid to learn, experiment carefully, and make adjustments along the way.
But never feel that you must follow every trending beauty treatment to have healthy, beautiful natural hair.
Sometimes the best thing we can do is return to the basics:
Water, conditioning, gentle handling, consistency, and patience.
Your curls, coils, and kinks deserve that kind of care.
Let's Talk Curls!
Now, my beautiful naturalistas, I have a few questions for you!
Have you ever tried a rice water rinse?
Did you notice softer hair, additional shine, easier detangling, or no difference at all?
And if you tried it, did you prefer soaking your rice or using another preparation method?
I'd love to hear about your experience in the comments!
Remember, what makes our natural hair community so special is our willingness to share, learn, and encourage one another.
Until next time, keep loving your curls, celebrating your texture, and caring for that beautiful crown.
Happy Curls to You!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.
Now, my beautiful naturalistas, I have a few questions for you!
Have you ever tried a rice water rinse?
Did you notice softer hair, additional shine, easier detangling, or no difference at all?
And if you tried it, did you prefer soaking your rice or using another preparation method?
I'd love to hear about your experience in the comments!
Remember, what makes our natural hair community so special is our willingness to share, learn, and encourage one another.
Until next time, keep loving your curls, celebrating your texture, and caring for that beautiful crown.
Happy Curls to You!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments
Post a Comment