Eco Styler Black Castor Oil Gel Review: Is This Golden Gel Worth Trying on Natural Hair?




By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset | Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

Hello, beautiful curl friends!

You know how it goes! You walk into your favorite beauty supply store with every intention of purchasing your usual hair products, and suddenly something new catches your eye.

Well, that is exactly what happened to me!

During one of my visits to the beauty supply store, I spotted a gold container of Eco Style gel. Now, I was already familiar with the Olive Oil and Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed versions, but this particular gold jar caught my attention.

It was the Eco Style Gold Gel featuring Olive Oil, Shea Butter, and Black Castor Oil.

Naturally, I had questions!

Could this be another great styling gel for my natural curls? Would it provide definition without leaving my hair stiff? And most importantly, would it work well for my wash-and-go routine?

I decided there was only one way to find out!

First Impressions: That Golden Jar!

One of the first things that caught my attention was the packaging. I appreciated the convenient flip-top jar, which made accessing the product easier.

When I opened the container, I noticed a few things immediately.

The gel had a beautiful golden appearance with a slight shimmer, and the fragrance was soft and floral. The consistency also seemed thicker than the Olive Oil version, reminding me more of the Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed gel.

But as we natural-haired ladies know, a product can look beautiful in the jar and behave completely differently once it meets our curls!

So, it was time to put it to the test.

My Wash-and-Go Experience

For this particular wash-and-go, I followed a fairly simple routine.

  1. Cleansing: I washed my hair using African Soap Peppermint Shampoo.

  2. Conditioning: I followed with a rinse-out conditioner.

  3. Moisturizing: I applied my coconut leave-in conditioner to prepare my strands for styling.

  4. Styling: I applied the Eco Style Gold Gel using the shingling method to encourage curl definition.

Shingling is a technique that involves applying styling products through small sections of hair, smoothing and separating the curls to help define their natural pattern.

I wanted to see whether this new gel would give me the definition, softness, and movement I love in a good wash-and-go.

What I Noticed About the Gel

After applying the product and allowing my hair to dry, several things stood out.

1. The consistency was thicker than expected.

Compared with the regular Olive Oil version, this gel felt heavier and more substantial. I could immediately tell that application and distribution would be important.

2. The fragrance was pleasant.

I enjoyed the soft floral scent. It wasn't the first thing I normally consider when choosing a styling gel, but a nice fragrance certainly adds to the experience.

3. My hair dried faster than expected.

One thing that genuinely surprised me was how quickly my hair dried compared with my experiences using the other two Eco Style gels.

4. The gel offered a strong hold.

The Gold Gel was labeled with a hold level of 10, and I could feel that it was designed to provide substantial styling control.

5. My hair did not feel hard once it dried.

Now, ladies, this was important to me!

Nobody wants beautiful curls that feel like a helmet. Although the product provided noticeable hold, my hair was not hard to the touch after drying.

That was definitely a plus!

What I Really Liked

One of my favorite things about this styling experience was that I didn't get that overly tight, jheri-curl-like appearance or texture when my hair dried.

For me, that made a difference.

I enjoy defined curls, but I also want my natural hair to look and feel natural. Curl definition is wonderful, but maintaining softness, movement, and a style that complements my texture matters just as much.

The gel gave me an opportunity to achieve hold without the extremely hard finish I sometimes associate with stronger styling products.

A Word About Fine, Low-Porosity Natural Hair

If you've followed Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks for a while, you know that I pay close attention to how products behave on my strands.

My hair is fine and low porosity, which means I have to be especially mindful of product weight and buildup.

Thicker gels can sometimes leave fine strands feeling coated or weighed down when too much product is applied.

For that reason, I recommend experimenting with the amount you use.

Start with a little, distribute it evenly, and add more only where needed.

Also, remember that water plays an important role in styling natural hair. Applying gel to thoroughly wet hair can help with distribution and curl clumping, although the best results will depend on your hair and the products you layer together.

And don't forget to pay attention to how your leave-in conditioner interacts with your gel. Not every combination plays nicely!

Would I Recommend Eco Style Gold Gel?

Based on my experience, I believe it is worth considering if you enjoy wash-and-go styling and prefer a gel with a stronger hold.

However, I wouldn't automatically say that thicker means better.

The right gel depends on your hair's density, strand thickness, porosity, desired style, and how you like your finished curls to feel.

For my own hair, I appreciate products that provide curl definition without creating unnecessary heaviness.

The Eco Style Gold Gel had some pleasant surprises, particularly its drying time and the fact that my hair did not feel hard after styling.

Would I experiment with it again? Absolutely!

But as always, I believe in listening to what my hair is telling me rather than following every new product trend.

My Final Thoughts: Know Your Curls!

Ladies, here's something I've learned over the years of embracing my natural hair:

Just because a product works beautifully for someone else's curls doesn't mean it will behave the same way on yours.

Our curls have their own personalities!

Some need lightweight products, some love rich creams, and others respond beautifully to a combination of moisture and styling gel.

The goal is not to force our natural hair to behave like someone else's.

The goal is to understand it, care for it, and celebrate it!

And that, my beautiful curl friends, is what Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks is all about.

Let's Talk Curls!

Have you tried Eco Style Gold Gel or the Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed version?

I'd love to hear about your experience!

Which Eco Style gel is your favorite for wash-and-go styling? Does your hair prefer a strong hold, or do you enjoy softer, more touchable curls?

Share your thoughts in the comments below. Let's learn from one another!

Until next time, love your curls, embrace your texture, and remember that your crown is uniquely yours!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose