Should I Dye My Natural Hair Purple? Pros, Cons, and What to Consider
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset | Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
There is just something about purple hair that makes me stop and stare.
I have been wanting to dye my natural tresses purple for a while now. Why, you may ask? Because I absolutely love the color purple! Every time I see a beautiful naturalista rocking shades of violet, plum, or lavender, I am instantly drawn in. Purple hair is bold, fun, feminine, and full of personality.
But there is one major issue standing in my way:
Bleaching.
To achieve that rich, royal purple color on dark natural hair, bleaching is often necessary. And honestly, that is the part that gives me pause. I love the fact that my natural hair is healthy, bouncy, and full of life. So now I find myself weighing the odds:
Do I go for the color I love and take the risk?
Or do I happily admire all the purple-haired naturals from the sidelines?
The Pros of Going Purple
There are definitely some appealing reasons to say “yes” to purple tresses.
Purple hair is a confidence booster.
A fresh new color can make you feel bold, beautiful, and refreshed.It allows you to express your personality.
Purple is creative, playful, and regal all at once.A new hair color can change your whole look.
You may find that your makeup choices, accessories, and clothing colors take on a whole new vibe.There are ways to reduce damage during the bleaching process.
One popular option is the coconut oil pre-bleaching method.Color maintenance can be supported with tinted conditioners.
Some naturals use violet or lavender color-depositing conditioners to help refresh the tone between salon visits.
A Tip to Help Protect Your Hair Before Bleaching
One method often used to help reduce damage is the coconut oil pre-treatment.
Method:
The night before your bleaching appointment, take pure, unrefined coconut oil and thoroughly saturate your strands from root to tip. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the oil in overnight. The next day, bleach your hair — or have it professionally done — with the oil still in your hair.
Many believe this method helps protect the hair and scalp by adding an extra layer of support before the bleaching process begins.
Even with this method, I strongly recommend caution and, when possible, the help of a professional stylist.
The Cons of Going Purple
As beautiful as purple hair is, there are some realities to consider.
Bleaching can be stressful on the hair.
It can weaken the strands and increase the need for protein treatments and deep conditioning.Colored hair requires more maintenance.
Once you color your hair, healthy upkeep becomes even more important.Some shampoos can strip or fade the color.
Sulfate shampoos, in particular, may cause the color to fade faster.Moisture and strength must stay balanced.
Color-treated natural hair needs special attention to avoid dryness and breakage.
If you already have fine strands or fragile hair, these are things to think through carefully.
How to Maintain Purple Natural Hair
If you do decide to take the leap, maintenance will be everything.
Here are a few helpful tips:
- Use sulfate-free shampoos
- Deep condition regularly
- Add protein treatments as needed
- Limit excessive heat
- Use a color-safe conditioner or purple/violet depositing conditioner
- Keep your ends moisturized
- Trim as needed to maintain healthy hair
Healthy color starts with healthy care.
My Honest Thoughts
I have to admit — saying yes to purple hair is very tempting!
There is a part of me that would love to join the ranks of all the beautiful purple-haired naturals I admire. But there is another part of me that appreciates the health and bounce of my natural hair just as it is.
So for now, I am still on the fence.
I am admiring the purple divas, gathering inspiration, and carefully considering whether the beauty of the color is worth the added maintenance and possible stress on my strands.
And maybe that is okay.
Sometimes the best hair decisions are the ones we make slowly and thoughtfully.
Final Thoughts
Whether you choose to color your natural hair or keep it in its current healthy state, the most important thing is making the decision that is best for your hair.
Trends come and go, but healthy hair will always be in style.
Still, I must say…
Purple sure is pretty.
Happy Curls to You!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments
Post a Comment