Sticky but Fabulous! My SheaMoisture Curling Gel Soufflé Experience & Tips for Beautiful Natural Curls



By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

From the Crowning Glory Archives — Originally Published in 2016 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, My Beautiful Naturalistas!

Ladies, have you ever used a hair product that drove you absolutely crazy, but you kept coming back to it because your curls looked so fabulous?

Well, honey, let me tell you about one of mine!

SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé!

Now, if you've ever used this particular product, you probably already know where this conversation is going.

The stickiness!

The unusual consistency!

And depending on the jar, that sometimes mysterious texture!

But here's the funny thing.

Despite all those little frustrations, this product became one of my favorites for my natural hair.

Why?

Because when I found the right way to use it, my curls loved the results!

So today, we're revisiting my original experience, discussing what makes this product unique, and exploring some of the tricks I discovered along the way.

Grab your favorite beverage, ladies. Let's talk curls!


The Product That Had Me Coming Back for More

When I originally wrote this article, the warmer weather was approaching, and I was experimenting with different natural hair routines.

At the time, I had been using SheaMoisture's Peace Rose Oil Gel and Conditioner.

I enjoyed those products, but I was ready to revisit an old favorite.

The Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé.

My hair had responded beautifully to this product before, especially during warmer weather.

One reason I was drawn to it was its humectant-rich formula.

And ladies, my hair has often responded favorably to products containing ingredients such as glycerin!

I loved experimenting with products that helped my curls maintain a soft, defined appearance.

But as I soon discovered, this soufflé required a little patience and a very light hand.





What Makes SheaMoisture Curling Gel Soufflé Different?

Unlike some traditional styling gels, the Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé had a distinctive, jelly-like consistency.

The formula I used featured ingredients such as coconut oil, agave nectar, and flaxseed oil.

Each ingredient contributed to the appeal of the product.

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is often included in hair products because of its lubricating and conditioning properties.

Research has shown that coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft under certain conditions and may help reduce protein loss.

However, not every head of hair responds to coconut oil in the same way.

Agave Nectar

Agave-derived ingredients are often associated with moisture-attracting properties.

Depending on the formulation, they may contribute to the product's feel and its ability to interact with water.

But there's a trade-off.

Humectant-rich formulations can sometimes feel tacky or sticky, especially when too much product is applied.

And believe me, I learned that lesson!

Flaxseed Oil

Flaxseed oil contains fatty acids that can contribute to lubrication and conditioning.

It shouldn't be confused with homemade flaxseed gel, which gets its gel-like consistency from compounds extracted into water.

The performance of any styling product depends on its complete formulation rather than one individual ingredient.

Archive note: The information above reflects the product I used in 2016. Ingredients, packaging, and formulation may have changed, so check the current container before purchasing.




Let's Talk About That Stickiness!

Now, ladies!

We cannot have an honest conversation about this product without discussing the stickiness.

Because, honey, that was something else!

I remember reading complaints from other naturals about the unusual texture.

Some found the product difficult to distribute.

Others felt that it left their hair sticky or uncomfortable to touch.

And I understood exactly what they meant.

There were times when the product felt more like a thick jelly than a traditional hair gel.

In fact, I once purchased a jar from Walmart that was so firm it reminded me of Jell-O!

I practically had to punch a hole through the surface just to get some product out.

Can you imagine?

I remember thinking, "Now, what in the world am I supposed to do with this?"

I typically purchased mine from Walgreens, and that particular jar seemed noticeably different from what I had used before.

I can't say exactly why the consistency varied. Storage conditions, age, temperature, or formulation differences could potentially affect product texture.

But one thing was certain.

I wasn't about to let that unusual consistency stop me from experimenting!

Because I knew what the product could do for my curls when applied correctly.

My Secret: Less Is Definitely More!

Ladies, if there was one lesson this product taught me, it was this:

You do not need a handful of product to achieve beautiful curls!

In fact, applying too much was often the very reason the soufflé felt sticky.

I began experimenting with smaller amounts.

And wouldn't you know it?

That made a difference!

Here are some of the techniques I used.

1. Start With a Tiny Amount

Instead of scooping out a large portion, I would lightly tap the surface of the gel.

Just enough to collect a little product.

Sometimes that was all I needed!

2. Apply in Sections

Working in sections allowed me to control how much product I applied to different areas of my hair.

This was especially helpful because not every section required the same amount.

3. Experiment With Your Leave-In Conditioner

I found that the soufflé could work well alongside certain leave-in conditioners and styling products.

However, I recommend testing combinations in a small section first.

Some products mix beautifully.

Others create buildup, flakes, or an unpleasant texture.

And ladies, nobody wants to discover white flakes after spending an hour styling their hair!

4. Resist the Urge to Add More

If the curls were already defined, I learned to leave them alone.

Adding more product didn't necessarily improve the results.

Sometimes it simply increased the stickiness.



Why I Loved It for Warm-Weather Styling

One of the reasons I enjoyed this product was how it fit into my warm-weather hair routine.

During warmer months, I spent more time outdoors.

Between the heat, perspiration, and everyday activities, I often preferred refreshing my hair with water.

At the time, I sometimes rinsed my hair in the shower nightly rather than doing a complete shampoo routine every day.

And this was where the Curling Gel Soufflé became particularly interesting.

I found that after rinsing my hair, I could reapply a small amount and refresh my curls.

I also enjoyed incorporating occasional oil rinsing into my routine, and the soufflé seemed to complement that approach.

Now, this was my personal experience.

It's important to remember that repeatedly wetting your hair or layering additional styling products isn't necessary for everyone.

Fine, fragile, or highly weathered strands may require a gentler routine.

The key is finding a refreshing method that works for your hair without causing excessive manipulation or buildup.

The Humidity Factor: Friend or Foe?

Let's talk about something that can make or break a wash-and-go.

Humidity!

Humectants such as glycerin help interact with water, but their effects depend on the surrounding humidity and the complete styling formula.

In certain conditions, hair can absorb moisture from the environment, potentially disrupting the definition of a carefully styled curl pattern.

But that doesn't automatically mean humectants are bad for natural hair.

Some naturalistas love glycerin-rich products throughout the year.

Others notice that particular formulas behave differently in very humid or dry weather.

For me, the Curling Gel Soufflé worked especially well during the warmer season.

My curls often appeared softer and more defined when I used it in moderation.

And that made the product worth keeping in my styling rotation.

A Special Word About Fine and Low-Porosity Natural Hair

Now, my longtime readers know that I pay close attention to how styling products behave on my fine, low-porosity hair.

Heavy products can sometimes leave my strands feeling coated or weighed down.

That's why I learned to appreciate the importance of controlling how much product I applied.

If you have fine strands, you may benefit from beginning with a smaller amount of styling product.

But remember, hair porosity and strand thickness are not the same thing.

Porosity describes how readily hair absorbs and releases water, while strand thickness describes the diameter of an individual hair.

Both characteristics can influence your styling experience.

And neither one automatically determines whether a particular gel will work for you.

Your hair's response matters more than any label or category.

My Updated Tips for Using a Sticky Curling Gel

If you enjoy products with a rich, jelly-like texture, here are a few things to consider.

  1. Start with clean, conditioned hair. Buildup can interfere with styling and leave hair feeling coated.

  2. Use the smallest practical amount. You can always add a little more if needed.

  3. Work in manageable sections. This helps distribute the product evenly.

  4. Test product combinations. Not every leave-in conditioner and gel will work well together.

  5. Pay attention to the weather. Humidity can influence the way your finished hairstyle behaves.

  6. Allow the hair to dry before manipulating it. Repeatedly touching wet curls may interfere with curl clumping and definition.

  7. Listen to your strands. If your hair feels excessively sticky, coated, or uncomfortable, consider using less or choosing a different product.

And please remember: If a product has an unusual odor, appears contaminated, or has changed dramatically in appearance, don't assume it's safe to use.

Was the SheaMoisture Curling Gel Soufflé Worth the Trouble?

Looking back at my original experience, I can certainly understand why I kept using this product.

Was it perfect?

Absolutely not!

Did the consistency sometimes test my patience?

Oh, yes!

But did I enjoy the way my curls looked when I found the right application technique?

You better believe it!

For my hair, the biggest lesson wasn't about finding a perfect product.

It was about learning how to use a product effectively.

Sometimes a product that initially seems difficult can perform differently when we change the amount we apply or the way we distribute it.

Of course, that doesn't mean every product deserves endless second chances.

If something consistently leaves your hair feeling unpleasant, irritated, or weighed down, it's perfectly reasonable to move on.

But for me, this particular soufflé became a memorable part of my natural hair journey.

My Final Thoughts: A Little Product, A Lot of Curl Love!

Ladies, one thing I've learned over the years is that natural hair care isn't always about purchasing something new.

Sometimes it's about understanding the products we already own.

Learning what our hair likes.

Learning what it doesn't like.

And knowing when to use a little less instead of a little more.

The SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé reminded me that patience and experimentation can make a difference.

And even with its sticky personality, it gave me some beautiful curl days!

So, whether you're a wash-and-go girl, a twist-out lover, or someone who simply enjoys experimenting with natural hair products, remember this:

The best styling routine is the one that helps you enjoy and care for your own beautiful crown.

Let's Talk Curls!

Now, ladies, I want to hear from you!

Have you ever tried SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé?

Did you love the definition?

Were you surprised by the texture?

Or did the stickiness send you running in the opposite direction?

And here's another question:

Have you ever discovered that using LESS of a product actually gave you BETTER results?

Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Until next time, keep embracing your curls, loving your texture, and celebrating the beauty of your natural hair.

Happy Curls to You!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose