SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner: The Product That Surprised Me!



My Original 2015 Review, Updated With What We Know Today


By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

From the Crowning Glory Archives — Originally Published June 10, 2015 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, My Beautiful Naturalistas!

Ladies, have you ever tried a hair product from a brand you weren't particularly fond of, only to discover that the product was absolutely wonderful?

Well, honey, that is exactly what happened to me!

Today, we're reaching back into the Crowning Glory archives to revisit one of my memorable discoveries:

SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Leave-In Conditioner.

Now, let me tell you something.

When I first tried this product back in 2015, I was not exactly the biggest SheaMoisture fan!

Some of their products simply didn't seem to agree with my natural hair.

I had tried several formulations, but my 3C/4A curls weren't always impressed.

However, I did have a soft spot for their Curling Gel Soufflé.

And then along came this leave-in conditioner.

Ladies, I was pleasantly surprised!

A Little Backstory: My Curl Kit Discovery

I originally received this leave-in conditioner in my May Curl Kit subscription box.

At the time, I had been subscribing for approximately two years and had experimented with several products.

Some were enjoyable.

Others were just okay.

And a few left me wondering why I had bothered trying them!

But this particular leave-in conditioner stood out.

From the fragrance to the creamy consistency and how it made my strands feel, I was impressed.

It quickly became one of my favorite discoveries from that subscription.

And here's what I particularly appreciated:

I didn't need to use very much to achieve beautiful results!



shea-moisture-jamaican-black-castor-oil-leave-in-review


First Impressions: Fragrance, Texture and Application

Let's begin with the fragrance.

Oh, ladies!

I absolutely loved the way this product smelled in my hair.

The fragrance was pleasant, and the creamy texture reminded me of a rich lotion.

But despite its creamy appearance, I found that it spread smoothly through my wet strands.

The product didn't feel excessively sticky or tacky.

And that was a major plus!

As someone whose fine strands can become weighed down when I apply too many products, I appreciated being able to use a modest amount.

I generally applied it to wet or damp hair, working through manageable sections.

And the results?

Beautiful softness.

Noticeable shine.

And curls that felt flexible and easy to handle.

The Shine Was Off the Charts!

Now, ladies, here's where the product really impressed me.

My hair looked shiny!

Not simply greasy or coated.

I'm talking about the kind of sheen that makes you stop and admire your curls in the mirror.

My strands also felt soft and pliable.

And I noticed something else.

My hair appeared to experience less shrinkage than when I used some of my other leave-in conditioners.

Now, I want to clarify something.

A leave-in conditioner doesn't permanently change your natural curl pattern or eliminate shrinkage.

But conditioning ingredients can affect how strands clump, separate, and behave during styling.

For me, the finished appearance was something I appreciated.

And sometimes, ladies, finding a product that makes your hair look and feel beautiful is reason enough to celebrate!

Let's Talk Ingredients: What Made This Conditioner Interesting?

One of the reasons I enjoyed writing product reviews was the opportunity to explore the ingredients.

And this leave-in conditioner had several worth discussing.

Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Castor oil is a thick, viscous plant oil used in many hair-care products.

It can help lubricate strands and provide a smoother, shinier appearance.

However, despite its popularity in hair-growth discussions, there isn't convincing scientific evidence that applying castor oil directly stimulates faster hair growth.

What it may contribute to is the overall conditioning experience.

And if a product reduces friction and makes hair easier to handle, it may help limit certain kinds of mechanical breakage.

Stearyl Alcohol and Cetyl Alcohol

Now, don't let the word alcohol frighten you!

Stearyl and cetyl alcohol are fatty alcohols commonly used in conditioners.

They're not the same as ethanol.

These ingredients help create a creamy texture and can contribute to the product's conditioning feel.

They also help stabilize emulsions.

And ladies, this is why I always encourage readers to learn what ingredients actually do instead of automatically avoiding a product because of one unfamiliar word.

Behentrimonium Chloride

This is a conditioning ingredient that helps improve softness, reduce static, and make hair easier to comb.

It is particularly useful in formulations intended to improve detangling.

And if you've ever struggled with tangles in tightly curled hair, you know that good slip can be a blessing!

Shea Butter and Coconut Oil

Shea butter contributes emollient properties to hair-care formulations.

Coconut oil is also interesting because research has shown it can penetrate the hair shaft under certain conditions and help reduce protein loss.

However, the performance of a finished conditioner depends on the complete formula, not simply the presence of one ingredient.

Some naturalistas enjoy rich products containing these ingredients.

Others find them too heavy.

That's why individual experience matters.

Hydrolyzed Proteins and Keravis

My original review also discussed hydrolyzed proteins and a conditioning ingredient known as Keravis, identified in ingredient lists as hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG-propyl silanetriol.

Protein-derived ingredients may temporarily improve certain properties of the hair fiber, depending on the product's formulation.

But here's an important update.

Protein-containing products don't automatically make hair dry, stiff, or damaged.

Some people find that particular formulas leave their strands feeling less flexible.

Others enjoy using those same products.

Rather than assuming all proteins behave alike, consider the entire formulation and how your hair responds.

And remember, no conditioner can permanently rebuild severely damaged strands.

Fine, Low-Porosity Hair: Why Product Amount Matters

Now, my longtime readers know that I've spent years learning how to care for my fine, low-porosity strands.

And let me tell you, ladies, more product does not always mean better results!

Sometimes I can apply too many layers and end up with hair that feels coated, heavy, or difficult to style.

That's why I appreciate a leave-in conditioner that performs well without requiring excessive application.

During my original experience, this SheaMoisture conditioner worked beautifully when I applied it to wet hair.

I enjoyed its softness and shine without needing to follow with several additional products.

However, low porosity doesn't automatically mean that rich conditioners are unsuitable.

Neither does fine hair mean that every cream will weigh your strands down.

It's about the amount, the formulation, and how your hair responds.

Learn your hair, ladies. Your strands will often tell you what they need!

How I Applied the Leave-In Conditioner

Let's revisit my original application technique.

Step 1: Begin with clean, wet hair.

I enjoyed applying the conditioner while my hair still contained plenty of water.

Step 2: Work in sections.

Sectioning helped me distribute the product evenly.

Step 3: Begin with a small amount.

Instead of applying a large handful, I started with a modest amount and increased it only when necessary.

Step 4: Smooth through the strands.

I distributed the product gently, paying particular attention to areas that needed conditioning.

Step 5: Style according to your preference.

Sometimes I found the leave-in sufficient on its own.

Other times, I paired it with a styling product for additional definition or hold.

And one of the combinations I particularly enjoyed?

Kinky-Curly Curling Custard!

The products worked well together during my original experiments.

As always, I recommend checking compatibility before layering unfamiliar products.

Do You Really Need to Reapply Leave-In Every Day?

In my original review, I discussed refreshing my hair with water and occasionally reapplying the conditioner.

At the time, that approach worked for my routine.

But here's something I've learned since then.

Daily product application isn't necessary for every naturalista.

Some strands respond well to a light refresh.

Others become weighed down when products are repeatedly layered.

And sometimes the best thing we can do for our curls is simply leave them alone!

If your hair feels soft and manageable, there's no reason to keep adding products.

Instead, pay attention to dryness, buildup, tangling, and how your hairstyle is holding up.

The Good, the Not-So-Good, and What I'd Tell Readers Today

Every honest product review deserves a balanced assessment!

What I Loved

The fragrance was wonderful.

The texture was creamy and easy to distribute.

My hair felt soft and pliable.

I enjoyed the shine.

I didn't experience the tackiness that sometimes bothered me with other products.

And I found it worked well with certain styling products.

What I Didn't Love

I would have preferred a bottle rather than a jar.

At the time, I also questioned whether the protein ingredients would suit every naturalista.

Today, I'd approach that question differently.

Rather than categorizing the product as unsuitable for everyone who dislikes protein treatments, I would encourage readers to examine their own results.

And because formulas can change, I would never assume that a jar purchased today will perform exactly like the one I used in 2015.

Is This Product Still Available in 2026?

Yes! SheaMoisture continues to list its Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Leave-In Conditioner as part of the brand's hair-care collection.

However, the older packaging carried the name Strengthen, Grow & Restore, and product formulas and presentation can change over time.

So if you're considering purchasing it today, review the current ingredient label and application directions.

My original article documented my personal results with the formulation I used in 2015.

It should not be interpreted as a new hands-on test of the current version.

My Final Thoughts: Sometimes a Product Deserves a Second Look!

Ladies, looking back at this review makes me smile.

I had already decided that SheaMoisture wasn't necessarily my favorite hair-care brand.

And then one product surprised me!

That experience reminded me not to judge an entire product line based on one or two disappointing purchases.

It also reinforced something I've learned throughout my natural hair journey.

You don't always need the newest, most expensive, or most talked-about product to achieve beautiful results.

Sometimes the right conditioner, applied in the right amount, can make a noticeable difference.

And that's what made this leave-in memorable for me.

Would I consider trying the current formula again?

Absolutely!

But I'd approach it with fresh expectations, because the product and my hair-care preferences may have changed over the years.

And that's part of the beauty of learning and growing with our natural hair!

Let's Talk, Naturalistas!

Now, ladies, I want to hear from you!

Have you ever tried SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner?

Did you enjoy the softness and shine?

Was the formula too rich for your strands?

And here's another question:

Have you ever discovered a product you loved from a brand you weren't particularly impressed with?

I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments below.

Remember, what works for one naturalista may not work for another, and that's perfectly okay!

Until next time, ladies, keep learning, experimenting thoughtfully, and celebrating the beautiful crown you've been given.

Happy Curls to You!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose