Curl Keeper Review: Can This Frizz Fighter Help Define Natural Curls?



By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

From the Crowning Glory Archives | Originally Published July 14, 2014 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, Curl Friends!

If you have natural hair, then you already know that frizz can show up uninvited and try to take over the whole style!

One moment your curls are soft, defined, and beautiful… and the next moment, humidity, dryness, or too much manipulation can leave your hair looking puffier than planned.

So today, I’m revisiting an older product review and talking about a product many naturals have heard about over the years:

Curl Keeper.

This product has often been praised for helping curls stay defined while fighting frizz, especially in humid conditions. Back when I first tried it, I was looking for something that would help my curls stay soft, touchable, and under control without making my hair feel stiff or sticky.

Let’s talk about it!


What Is Curl Keeper?

Curl Keeper is known as a water-based styling product created to help define curls, reduce frizz, and support longer-lasting curl patterns.

For many naturals, one of the biggest frustrations is finding a product that helps curls stay in place without leaving behind flakes, crunch, or heaviness. Curl Keeper became popular because it promised frizz control while still allowing the hair to move naturally.

That immediately caught my attention.


Why Frizz Happens in Natural Hair

Before talking about the product itself, let’s talk about the real issue: frizz.

Frizz often happens when the hair is dry, when humidity pulls moisture from the air into the strand, or when curls are disturbed before they are fully set. Natural hair—especially curly, coily, and kinky textures—can be more prone to frizz because the oils from the scalp have a harder time traveling down the hair shaft.

That means many of us are constantly looking for products that will help us hold moisture, define our curls, and keep our hair from turning into a puffball by midday.

Been there, ladies!


My First Impressions

When I first explored Curl Keeper, I noticed that it had a light, fluid consistency rather than the heavier feel of some gels or creams.

That can be a good thing for naturals who don’t like products that weigh the hair down.

I also appreciated that it was designed to work with curly hair rather than against it. Instead of trying to freeze the hair into place, it seemed intended to support the curl pattern while helping control frizz.

For me, that made it especially interesting.


How I Used It

I found that Curl Keeper worked best when applied to wet or very damp hair.

That is important.

With many styling products, especially products meant for curl definition, the amount of water in your hair can make a huge difference in the final result.

I would apply the product through my curls, making sure it was distributed evenly, then allow my hair to air dry. One thing I liked was that I did not necessarily need to use direct heat to get results. I could work the product through my hair, style as desired, and let my curls do what curls do.

If frizz showed up later, a little water helped reactivate the product, which was a plus.


My Experience with Curl Keeper

Overall, I found Curl Keeper to be most helpful in a few key areas:

1. Frizz Control

This is where the product stood out the most. It helped calm the “frizz takeover” that can happen as the day goes on.

2. Definition

My curls looked more defined when the product was applied properly on wet hair.

3. Lightweight Feel

I did not find it overly heavy, greasy, or hard on my strands, which is always important—especially for finer natural hair textures.

4. Reactivation with Water

I liked that I could refresh my curls with water instead of feeling like I had to completely start over.

Now, was it perfect?

Not necessarily.

Like most hair products, results can vary depending on your texture, density, porosity, weather, and what other products you use with it. Some days it worked better than others, and I found that application really mattered.

The wetter the hair, the better the result.


What I Liked About It

Here are some of the things I appreciated most:

  • Lightweight feel
  • Helped reduce frizz
  • Gave soft curl definition
  • Worked well when applied to wet hair
  • Could be refreshed with water
  • Did not leave my hair feeling overly stiff
  • Useful for naturals who want movement without a hard cast

A Few Things to Keep in Mind

As with any product, there are a few things to consider:

  • It may work better for some hair types than others
  • You may need to experiment with how much product to use
  • Very dry hair may need additional moisture underneath
  • Humidity, layering products, and technique can all affect the final result

In other words, the product may be helpful—but your method matters too.


Is Curl Keeper Worth Trying?

If frizz is one of your biggest struggles, I do think Curl Keeper can be a product worth exploring.

Especially if:

  • you like lightweight stylers
  • you want defined curls without heavy buildup
  • you prefer products that can be refreshed
  • you need something that helps your curls hold up better through the day

No product is magic, of course.

But when paired with good moisture, gentle handling, and the right routine, a product like Curl Keeper may become a helpful part of your styling lineup.


My Final Thoughts

Curl Keeper reminded me of something important that still holds true today:

Sometimes the best product is not the one that promises the most—it's the one that works well for your hair’s real everyday needs.

If you are looking for a styling product to help with frizz and definition, this may be one to consider. Just remember that every head of natural hair is different, and what works beautifully for one person may need some tweaking for another.

That’s the journey of natural hair.

We learn, we test, we adjust, and we keep going.

And when we do find something that helps our curls behave a little better?

We celebrate!

LOL!


1.  Combating Frizz

Want to understand why your natural curls become frizzy? Read my Combating Frizz article for practical ways to keep your curls manageable and beautifully defined.

2.  The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go Guide

Looking for soft, defined curls without weighing down your natural hair? Explore my Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go Guide for styling and curl-definition tips.

3.  10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

Remember, beautiful curl definition begins with a good hair-care routine! Visit my 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized article for helpful moisture and conditioning tips.


Let’s Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever tried Curl Keeper?

Did it help define your curls and control frizz?

And what product has worked best for you when your natural hair starts acting up in humid weather?

Share your thoughts in the comments—I’d love to hear from you!

Until next time, love your curls, embrace your coils, and celebrate every beautiful kink.

Happy Curls to You!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages!

Kimmy Tube's Leave-In Conditioner

Texas Pastor Forbids The Wearing of Weaves in His Church!