Hair Steamers for Natural Hair: Are They Worth It? Benefits, Tips & Affordable Alternatives



By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published May 14, 2014 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, My Beautiful Curl Friends!

Ladies, have you ever awakened in the morning, removed your bonnet, and discovered that your beautiful curls from yesterday were looking a little tired today?

Maybe your hair feels dry. Perhaps your curls need a little encouragement, or your wash-and-go has lost some of its bounce.

We've all had those mornings!

Years ago, when I first wrote about hair steamers, the natural hair community was buzzing about these devices. Everywhere I looked, someone was talking about how steaming could transform dry curls into soft, moisturized, manageable hair.

Of course, I was curious!

But I also had a question: Do we really need another expensive hair tool to maintain beautiful natural hair?

Let's talk about it!

What Is Hair Steaming?

Hair steaming involves exposing your hair to warm, moist air for a short period.

Some women use a tabletop hair steamer during deep-conditioning treatments. Others use handheld devices to refresh sections of their curls without fully washing their hair.

The warmth and moisture can make the hair feel softer and more flexible, especially during conditioning.

However, steaming isn't magic, and it doesn't permanently repair damaged hair or guarantee faster growth.

The results depend on your hair's condition, your products, your technique, and how frequently you steam.

Why Do Some Naturals Love Hair Steamers?

There are several reasons women enjoy incorporating steaming into their natural hair routines.

1. Softer, more manageable hair

Gentle warmth and moisture may help hair feel softer during a conditioning treatment, making subsequent detangling more comfortable.

2. A pleasant deep-conditioning experience

Steaming provides a warm, spa-like setting while your conditioner does its work.

3. Easier curl refreshing

Light moisture can help reshape curls and reduce the need to saturate your entire head of hair.

4. A little extra pampering

Sometimes our hair-care routine is about more than products. Taking a few minutes for ourselves can be part of the enjoyment!

But here's something important: Hair steamers are optional tools, not requirements for healthy natural hair.

What About Low-Porosity Natural Hair?

Now, ladies, you know I have spent years learning what works for my fine, low-porosity 3C/4A curls.

And if there's one thing I've learned, it's this:

What works beautifully for someone else's hair might not work for yours!

Low-porosity hair may resist wetting and sometimes takes longer to feel thoroughly saturated.

Using gentle warmth during conditioning can be helpful for some people, but you don't necessarily need a specialized steamer to accomplish that.

A comfortable, warm environment and a suitable conditioner may be all you need.

If you're uncertain how your own strands respond to moisture, I have another article that explores this topic in detail.

How to Steam Your Hair Safely

If you decide to try a hair steamer, remember that gentle treatment is always better than excessive heat.

  • Follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommended treatment time.

  • Keep the steam at a comfortable distance from your scalp and face.

  • Avoid directing very hot steam onto one area.

  • Be cautious around electrical devices and water.

  • Stop immediately if your scalp or skin feels uncomfortable.

  • Don't assume longer steaming sessions produce better results.

Steam can burn skin, so never place your face or scalp directly over boiling water.

And ladies, if you have a sensitive scalp or an active scalp condition, it's wise to seek professional guidance before adding heat-based treatments.

Do You Need an Expensive Hair Steamer?

Here's where my opinion from 2014 still stands!

Not necessarily!

When hair steamers first became popular, I looked at models such as the Q-Redew, Huetiful, and other tabletop systems.

Some of those devices came with substantial price tags.

Looking back, I can appreciate why so many women were excited about them. But prices, models, and availability have changed over the years, so I wouldn't rely on those old listings today.

A steamer can be a convenient addition to your routine, but it isn't essential.

If your current wash-day routine leaves your hair feeling soft, conditioned, and manageable, there may be no reason to change it.

Three Budget-Friendly Alternatives

1. A Warm, Damp Towel

After applying your conditioner, place a comfortably warm, damp towel around your hair for a few minutes.

Make sure it isn't hot enough to irritate your skin.

This won't duplicate a professional steamer, but it can make conditioning feel especially relaxing.

2. A Conditioning Cap

Apply your favorite deep conditioner and cover your hair with a plastic conditioning cap, following the product's recommended directions.

This simple method helps contain moisture and can make wash day less messy.

You don't have to purchase a sophisticated machine to enjoy your conditioning session.

3. A Gentle, Water-Based Refresh

Sometimes your curls need a little water and a touch of leave-in conditioner rather than another complete wash.

Lightly mist your hair, work through individual sections with your fingers, and reshape the curls as needed.

For my fine strands, I prefer not to overload my hair with heavy products.

Remember, the goal is manageable, comfortable hair—not product buildup!

My Natural Hair Routine: Keeping It Simple

Ladies, I have always been a wash-and-go kind of woman.

I love my curls, but I also love simplicity!

Over the years, I have experimented with leave-ins, oils, creams, and different nighttime routines.

What works best for me is listening to my hair.

Some days it needs a little moisture.

Other days it needs a gentle cleanse.

And sometimes it simply needs me to leave it alone!

If I can achieve soft, defined curls without purchasing another expensive tool, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Healthy hair care is about consistency, not collecting products.

Does Steaming Make Hair Grow Faster?

Let's clear up one popular misunderstanding.

Hair steaming has not been shown to directly increase the rate of hair growth.

Hair growth begins within the follicle, and many factors influence it, including genetics, age, overall health, and scalp conditions.

Gentle conditioning practices may help reduce breakage, allowing you to retain more of the length you grow.

But steaming itself isn't a guaranteed hair-growth treatment.

And that's important to know before spending your hard-earned money!

My Final Thoughts

After all these years, my perspective hasn't changed very much.

I appreciate products and tools that make natural hair care easier. I enjoy discovering new techniques, and I love seeing other women celebrate their curls.

But I also believe in being a thoughtful consumer.

Before purchasing another hair tool, ask yourself:

What does my hair actually need?

If a steamer makes conditioning easier and you enjoy using it, wonderful!

But if your hair thrives with a simple leave-in, a good conditioner, and a consistent routine, that's wonderful too.

Your crown deserves care—not unnecessary complication!

More From Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

1. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

If moisture is your primary concern, explore the practical tips I've learned from caring for my fine natural curls.

https://crowningglorycoilsandkinks.blogspot.com/2016/01/10-ways-to-keep-your-natural-hair.html

2. What Is Hair Porosity? A Simple Guide to Moisture and Natural Hair Care

Learn why some hair takes longer to absorb moisture and how understanding porosity can guide your routine.

https://crowningglorycoilsandkinks.blogspot.com/2012/11/what-is-hair-porosity.html

3. The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!

Looking for defined, beautiful curls without an overly complicated routine? This article shares more styling ideas.

https://crowningglorycoilsandkinks.blogspot.com/2015/07/3c-frizz-free-wash-and-go-method.html

Let's Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever used a hair steamer?

Did it make your hair feel softer, or did you discover that your regular conditioning routine worked just as well?

And here's another question:

Would you spend money on a hair steamer today, or would you rather keep your natural hair routine simple?

Come on, ladies! I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments.

Until next time, love your curls, embrace your coils, and celebrate every beautiful kink!

Happy Curls to You!

© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.




The Q-Redew

http://www.qredew.com/products/Q-Redew.html
Price:  $69.95


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages!

Kimmy Tube's Leave-In Conditioner

Texas Pastor Forbids The Wearing of Weaves in His Church!