September 2013 Curl Kit Review: A Look Back at My Natural Hair Product Favorites!
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published September 22, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026
Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕
Today, we're taking a little trip down memory lane!
If you've been following the natural hair community for a while, you probably remember when monthly beauty subscription boxes were all the excitement. There was something special about receiving a package filled with products you might never have discovered on your own.
And ladies, back in September 2013, I was particularly excited about my Curl Kit!
This wasn't just another delivery. For me, it was an opportunity to explore new brands, experiment with products, and discover what worked best for my beautiful 3C and 4A curls and coils.
Let's revisit some of the products that caught my attention!
What Was Curl Kit?
Curl Kit was a subscription beauty box that introduced natural hair enthusiasts to different hair-care brands through a selection of products and samples.
At the time, I enjoyed the element of surprise. Opening that box was almost like receiving a little natural hair gift!
The September 2013 collection included moisturizing conditioners, styling products, hair butters, and a few extras.
A note from the Crowning Glory archives: This article reflects my experience in September 2013. Product prices, packaging, ingredients, availability, and subscription services may have changed since then. Any prices mentioned are historical, not current offers.
1. Kandy Kurls Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner
One of the first products featured in my September Curl Kit was the Kandy Kurls Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner.
The product description emphasized shea butter and a mixture of oils, including avocado, hemp, and jojoba oils.
And ladies, I remember being intrigued by the fragrance!
Natural hair products during this period were becoming increasingly creative with their formulations and scents, and Kandy Kurls certainly caught my attention.
As someone who appreciates softness and moisture without unnecessarily weighing down my curls, leave-in conditioners have always been an important part of my routine.
Of course, one lesson I've learned over the years is that a beautifully packaged product—or even a wonderful fragrance—doesn't necessarily mean it will work for every head of natural hair.
What matters is how your own strands respond.
For additional moisture-care advice, read 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized.
2. Kandy Kurls Moisturizing Shea Soufflé
Next was the Kandy Kurls Moisturizing Shea Soufflé.
This was a rich-looking butter-based product featuring shea butter and various oils.
I described its scent as sweet and its appearance as white, creamy, and thick.
Now, ladies, if there's one thing a natural hair girl learns through experience, it's that thicker isn't always better!
Some hair responds beautifully to rich butters, while other strands prefer lighter layers of moisture and styling products.
Over the years, I've found that the key is understanding what your hair needs rather than following every popular product trend.
That's especially important when you're learning about hair porosity.
You can explore that subject in my article What Is Hair Porosity? A Simple Guide to Moisture and Natural Hair Care.
3. OBIA Curl Enhancing Custard
Now, here's a product that many natural hair enthusiasts may remember!
OBIA Curl Enhancing Custard was another featured item in my September 2013 review.
The product was presented as a styling option for curl definition and shine, with oils such as argan, grapeseed, and olive oil listed in the original product information.
One thing I have always appreciated about natural hair styling products is the possibility of achieving defined curls while maintaining softness and movement.
However, the right amount of hold is a very personal preference.
Some ladies love highly defined curls. Others prefer volume, softness, and a little beautiful frizz.
And you know what? There's room for all of it!
Watch the Original OBIA Product Video
This video is part of the original 2013 article and offers a glimpse into the natural hair conversations and product demonstrations of that period.
4. Koils by Nature Marvelous Mango
Ladies, this is where my September Curl Kit became particularly interesting!
Koils by Nature Marvelous Mango was among the products I was eager to try.
I remember the tropical fragrance and the thick, creamy texture.
In fact, this was the first product from the box I decided to experiment with.
My Original September 23, 2013 Product Update
I applied the Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter to sections of my damp hair and twisted my strands.
Afterward, I covered my hair overnight with a plastic shower cap and my regular satin hair cap.
The following morning, my hair was still slightly damp.
As I carefully unraveled each twist, my curls began taking shape.
By the time my hair finished drying, I was left with soft, defined curls.
And ladies, that was the result I had been hoping for!
Would I Have Purchased It Again?
At the time, I felt the product performed well, but I would have preferred a lower price.
That was an important lesson for me: A good product must also make sense for your personal budget.
You don't necessarily need the most expensive butter or styling cream to achieve beautiful natural hair.
Consistency, proper application, and learning what your own hair responds to can matter far more than the price tag.
Watch the Original Koils by Nature Review
5. Karen's Body Beautiful Super Duper Hydrating Hair Cream
Another product that caught my attention was Karen's Body Beautiful Super Duper Hydrating Hair Cream.
I remember being excited about this brand because of its beautiful presentation and focus on moisturizing hair products.
This particular cream became the subject of another personal product experience, which I documented separately in the Crowning Glory archives.
And that's one of the things I value about writing these articles.
Every product doesn't have to receive a glowing review.
Sometimes, we learn just as much from the products that disappoint us as from the ones that become our favorites.
Whether the issue is texture, fragrance, flaking, packaging, or compatibility with other products, each experience helps us become more thoughtful about what we purchase.
6. The Bonus Items and Samples
The September Curl Kit also included additional samples and a spray bottle.
I remember being pleased with how many items had been included in the box.
Although I already owned several spray bottles, I appreciated having another one available.
After all, a spray bottle has long been a useful tool in many natural hair routines!
The excitement of these subscription boxes wasn't always about discovering a perfect product.
Sometimes it was simply about trying something different, enjoying the experience, and learning a little more about your hair.
Looking Back: What My 2013 Curl Kit Taught Me
More than a decade later, there are a few lessons from those early natural hair adventures that still matter today.You don't need every new product. It's easy to become excited by beautiful packaging, sweet fragrances, and enthusiastic product reviews. But a simple routine with products that suit your hair may be all you need.
Learn to recognize what works for your strands. Your curl pattern, hair condition, styling preferences, and daily routine all play a part in choosing products.
Pay attention to product combinations. Even products that perform beautifully on their own can sometimes leave residue or flakes when layered together.
Enjoy the journey! Natural hair care should be an opportunity to discover and celebrate your hair—not a never-ending search for perfection.
And if you're looking for inspiration on achieving beautifully defined curls, visit The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!.
A Little Natural Hair History Worth Remembering
When I originally wrote this review in September 2013, the natural hair community was filled with product discoveries, YouTube tutorials, big chop stories, twist-outs, wash-and-go experiments, and women sharing what they had learned along the way.
Those experiences helped many of us understand our hair and feel more confident wearing our natural textures.
That's why I believe these older articles are worth preserving.
They tell the story of where we've been, what we've tried, and how our understanding has grown.
And ladies, I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything!
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Do you remember the early days of natural hair subscription boxes?
Were you ever a Curl Kit subscriber?
And is there a product from your early natural hair journey that you still remember fondly today?I'd love to hear your memories in the comments!
Until next time, beautiful ladies...
Happy Curls to You! 💕
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Celebrating Every Coil, Every Kink, Every Crown.
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments
Post a Comment