July 2013 Curl Kit Review: A Look Back at Natural Hair Products and Subscription Boxes



By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published August 9, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026

Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕

Today, we're taking another stroll down memory lane to revisit my July 2013 Curl Kit subscription box!

If you were part of the natural hair community during those early years, you probably remember the excitement surrounding monthly beauty subscription boxes. They introduced us to products and brands we might never have discovered otherwise.

And ladies, I loved exploring new products for my curls and coils!

This particular Curl Kit brought together conditioners, styling gels, custards, shampoos, and several samples. Some products made an excellent first impression, while others taught me that a product's true performance isn't always revealed on the first day.

Let's revisit what arrived in my July 2013 box!

What's Inside the July 2013 Curl Kit?

The July box featured an updated look, with a white package decorated with the Curl Kit logo. I thought it was a refreshing change from the earlier gray packaging.

Inside were several products designed for natural hair care and styling.

The featured products included:

  • Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Deep Conditioner — sample

  • Hi-Pro-Pac Extremely Damaged Hair Intense Protein Treatment — sample

  • CURLS Cashmere Curls — sample

  • Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel

  • Eco Custard with Argan Oil

  • Luscious Locks Shea Butter Shampoo

  • CB Smoothe Naturally Curly Pudding Crème

Some were familiar favorites, while others were completely new to me.

Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Deep Conditioner

Conditioning has always been an important part of maintaining my natural hair.

The Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Deep Conditioner caught my attention because of its conditioning ingredients and its potential to help soften and detangle curls.

A good conditioner can make wash day much more manageable, particularly when your strands are prone to tangling.

Although this was a sample-sized product, I appreciated the opportunity to explore another conditioner without committing to a full-size purchase.

Hi-Pro-Pac Intense Protein Treatment

Protein treatments were another popular topic in the natural hair community during this period.

The Hi-Pro-Pac treatment was marketed for damaged hair, with the goal of improving how hair feels and behaves.

But here's something worth remembering today: not every head of natural hair needs frequent protein treatments.

Hair that has experienced chemical processing, excessive heat, or mechanical damage may benefit from appropriately formulated conditioning treatments. However, results depend on the hair's condition and the product.

I encourage my curl friends to pay attention to how their hair responds rather than follow a treatment schedule simply because everyone else is doing it.

CURLS Cashmere Curls

This product was promoted as a curl-conditioning and styling option.

At the time, I was particularly interested in products that could provide definition without leaving my hair feeling dry.

However, my experience with Cashmere Curls was disappointing.

Initially, it seemed like a promising option, but by the following day, my hair had become frizzy and needed additional moisture.

For my hair, this was not the ideal leave-in or styling product.

That experience reinforced something I still believe: what works beautifully for one person's curls may not be the right match for another.

Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel

Now, this was a familiar product!

Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel was one of the gels I enjoyed using for curl definition.

I found it helpful to apply a compatible conditioner underneath to reduce the stiff feeling that some styling gels can leave behind.

It became a useful reminder that the way we layer products can influence our final results.

Of course, a styling gel isn't a substitute for proper conditioning. My goal was to maintain definition while keeping my curls comfortable and manageable.

Eco Custard with Argan Oil: First Impressions Versus Final Results

Ladies, this product gave me an interesting experience!

When I initially tried the Eco Custard with Argan Oil in August 2013, I was pleasantly surprised.

The texture was creamy, it was easy to apply, and my hair didn't feel crunchy. I could fluff my curls for additional volume, which I really appreciated.

My first impression was positive.

However, after continuing to use it, my opinion changed.

By the second day, I noticed that my hair wasn't retaining the moisture I wanted. I found myself reaching for additional water, and the product didn't provide the shine or lasting conditioning effect I expected.

My final verdict: Although I liked the initial softness and definition, I wouldn't repurchase it based on its performance on my hair.

And that, ladies, is why I believe in testing a product beyond the first application!

Luscious Locks Shea Butter Shampoo

The July box also included Luscious Locks Shea Butter Shampoo.

At the time, I had limited information about this particular product, and it was relatively unfamiliar to me.

One of the advantages of subscription boxes was being introduced to brands outside the more established natural hair product lines.

I considered this an opportunity for discovery, rather than a product I could confidently recommend without further testing.

CB Smoothe Naturally Curly Pudding Crème

Another interesting addition was the CB Smoothe Naturally Curly Pudding Crème.

The product had a light, pleasant melon-like fragrance and a creamy texture.

I remember appreciating how smooth the product felt.

However, I hadn't completed a full styling trial when I originally discussed it, so I don't want to suggest that I had reached a final verdict on its performance.

Sometimes our first impression is about fragrance and consistency, while the real test comes during styling and the days afterward.

What This Subscription Box Taught Me

Looking back, the July 2013 Curl Kit reflects an exciting chapter in the natural hair movement.

We were experimenting with wash-and-go styles, twist-outs, conditioners, custards, and different methods for keeping our curls defined.

It was also a time when many of us were learning how to read ingredient labels and recognize the differences between products that provided temporary softness and those that worked well as part of our regular routines.

My biggest lessons from this box were simple:

First impressions are not always final impressions. A product can look wonderful on day one and still disappoint by day two.

More products don't necessarily mean better results. Sometimes a simpler routine gives your hair exactly what it needs.

Your own hair is your best guide. Curl pattern, strand thickness, porosity, product formulation, and styling techniques can all influence the outcome.

Today, I still believe in finding a routine that works for your individual curls rather than chasing every new product that enters the market.

A Note From the Crowning Glory Archives

This article documents products and personal experiences from July and August 2013. The original product formulations, packaging, prices, and availability may have changed.

The observations shared here reflect my experience at that time, not a present-day evaluation of these products.

Continue Your Natural Hair Journey

If you're interested in learning more about caring for your curls and coils, here are three additional articles from the Crowning Glory archives:

1. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

Discover practical ways to help maintain moisture and improve your natural hair routine.

2. What Is Hair Porosity? A Simple Guide to Moisture and Natural Hair Care

Understand how hair porosity can influence the way your strands respond to water and conditioning products.

3. The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!

Explore styling techniques for defined curls without unnecessarily weighing your hair down.

Let's Talk, Ladies! 💕

Do you remember the early natural hair subscription boxes?

Did you ever discover a product you absolutely loved, only to change your mind after a few days?

Share your experiences in the comments! I always enjoy hearing about your natural hair discoveries.

Until next time, Happy Curls to You!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose