SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque: My Natural Hair Experience

By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

Originally Published July 9, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026

From the Crowning Glory Archives — A Look Back at My Natural Hair Journey

Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕

Sometimes, when I revisit my natural hair journey, I am reminded of the many products I experimented with while learning what my curls and coils truly needed.

One product that made quite an impression on me was the SheaMoisture Organic African Black Soap Purification Masque.

And ladies, let me tell you something. When I first tried this product back in 2013, I was pleasantly surprised!

I had heard quite a bit about the masque and finally decided to give it a try. What followed was one of those memorable natural hair experiences worth sharing.

My First Impression

When I opened the jar, the first thing I noticed was its fragrance.

To my nose, it had a sweet, almost banana-like scent that immediately caught my attention.

The consistency was another pleasant surprise. Instead of the thick, heavy texture I expected, the masque felt creamy and spreadable.

As someone who enjoys experimenting with different hair treatments, I was curious to see how this formula would work with my natural curls and coils.

What Was Special About This Masque?

The original product was marketed as a treatment for dry, itchy scalps and included ingredients such as African black soap, shea butter, tea tree oil, willow bark extract, and other botanical ingredients.

At the time, these ingredients made the masque especially interesting to women looking for scalp-focused treatments.

However, an important distinction is worth making today: a cosmetic hair masque is not a substitute for medical treatment for persistent scalp conditions, including eczema, psoriasis, or severe dandruff.

Also, product formulations can change. Anyone researching this masque today should refer to the ingredient list on the actual product rather than relying on this historical review.

How I Applied the Masque

One thing I remember clearly is that I did not begin with my usual co-washing routine.

Instead, I separated my natural hair into sections and applied the masque directly.

I discovered that adding a little water helped distribute the creamy product more easily throughout my strands.

This was particularly helpful because I could work the product through my hair without using as much of it.

After applying the masque, I gently worked it through my hair, paying attention to the areas that needed care.

At the time, I covered my hair and left the treatment in overnight before rinsing it out the following morning.

A note for today's readers: Although that was my original experience, I recommend following the manufacturer's current directions for processing time. Leaving a rinse-out scalp treatment on overnight is not necessarily safe or beneficial and may cause irritation.

The Results: Softness, Shine, and Beautiful Coils

Now, ladies, here is the part I enjoyed most!

After rinsing the product from my hair, I was delighted by how my strands felt.

My curls and coils appeared soft, shiny, and full of life.

I especially appreciated how manageable my hair felt afterward.

For me, that was always an important consideration.

A product could have beautiful packaging, an impressive ingredient list, and a wonderful fragrance, but if it left my hair feeling coated, stiff, or difficult to manage, it simply wasn't going to become one of my favorites.

This particular masque gave me a positive experience at the time.

What I Have Learned Since 2013

Looking back, I realize how much my understanding of natural hair care has evolved.

Years of experimenting taught me that a successful routine is not necessarily about using the richest cream or the largest number of products.

It is about understanding your own strands.

Today, I pay closer attention to how my hair responds to moisture, product layering, and the weight of certain ingredients.

With my fine strands and low-porosity tendencies, I generally prefer lighter products, liquid leave-ins, and oils rather than relying heavily on thick butters and creams.

That does not mean heavier products are wrong. It simply means different hair responds differently.

The best product is not always the most popular one. It is the one that works for your hair.

And that, my Curl Friends, is one of the most valuable lessons I have learned.

Would I Recommend This Product Today?

I can speak positively about my personal experience with the original 2013 version.

However, I would not assume that a product sold under a similar name today has the same formula or will deliver the same results.

If you are interested in an African black soap hair treatment, consider your scalp's sensitivity, the current ingredients, and the manufacturer's recommended use.

If you have an ongoing itchy, inflamed, or flaky scalp, a dermatologist can help determine the cause.

From the Crowning Glory Archives

This review is part of my natural hair journey from 2013.

I am preserving it because our experiences have value, even when products, formulations, and hair-care trends change.

Revisiting these articles reminds me that discovering what works for our hair is a process of observation, patience, and sometimes a little trial and error!

Let's Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever used the original SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque?

What was your experience?

Did you love its texture and how it made your hair feel, or did you discover that your curls preferred something lighter?

Share your experience in the comments. I would love to hear about your natural hair journey!

Until next time, Happy Curls to You! 💕

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.



Pictures are by:  kinkycurlycoilyme.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose