My 30-Day Conditioner-Only Challenge with TRESemmé Naturals: What I Learned About Moisture and Natural Hair
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
Originally published June 13, 2013 | Refreshed October 2026
Hello, my beautiful Curl Friends! 💕
If there is one thing my natural hair journey has taught me, it is that finding the right routine takes patience, experimentation, and a willingness to listen to your hair.
When I first did my Big Chop in March 2010, I had approximately one inch of beautiful natural hair. At that length, my daily routine was wonderfully simple. I could jump into the shower, wet my hair, apply my leave-in conditioner and styling gel, smooth everything into place with my hands, and go about my day.
Oh, those carefree TWA days!
But as my curls and coils grew longer, I discovered that my once-simple routine needed a little more attention.
And ladies, that is where this story begins!
When My Natural Hair Needed Something Different
As my hair gained length, I began experimenting with different conditioners, styling products, and techniques.
Like so many natural-haired women, I was searching for that elusive Holy Grail product—the one that would provide softness, shine, moisture, manageable curls, and beautiful definition.
Wouldn't that be something?
During that time, I followed natural-hair tutorials and experimented with using conditioner as a major part of my styling routine.
Eventually, I began noticing that my hair wasn't maintaining the softness and moisture I had enjoyed earlier in my journey.
I knew it was time to reconsider my regimen.
Rather than adding more products, I decided to simplify.
My 30-Day Conditioner-Only Challenge
On May 25, 2013, I began a 30-day experiment using TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner, a product formulated with aloe vera and avocado.
My goal was simple: discover whether a conditioner-focused routine would help me maintain softer, more manageable curls without relying so heavily on styling gels and multiple products.
Within the first several days, I noticed that my curls appeared shinier, softer, and more lively.
And you know how exciting it is when your hair begins cooperating!
However, looking back with the benefit of additional experience, I recognize that what worked for my hair during that season might not be suitable for everyone.
Natural hair care is never one-size-fits-all.
My Original Wash-Day Routine
During the challenge, I generally followed these steps:
Cleansed my hair with shampoo or co-washed, depending on its condition.
Applied TRESemmé Naturals Conditioner throughout my hair.
Worked in sections to detangle gently and distribute the conditioner.
Twisted individual sections to help keep my curls organized.
Covered my hair at night and refreshed the sections as needed.
Loosened the twists in the morning and gently arranged my curls.
On the second or third day, I occasionally misted my hair with water and retwisted larger sections.
My focus was moisture, reduced manipulation, and maintaining a routine I could manage consistently.
An important update: A rinse-out conditioner is not automatically intended to remain in the hair overnight or be used as a leave-in. Although I experimented with this approach in 2013, today I recommend following the product's directions and choosing a conditioner specifically formulated for leave-in use when you want lasting conditioning between wash days.
What I Learned About Moisture and Curl Definition
One of my favorite discoveries was that my hair often responded beautifully when I worked with smaller sections and distributed products carefully.
Instead of applying products quickly and hoping for the best, I learned to take time with my strands.
Here are a few lessons I still believe are valuable today.
1. Water is an important part of natural hair care
Water helps hydrate the hair, while conditioning products can improve softness, manageability, and the feel of the strands.
A leave-in conditioner or suitable styling product may help reduce friction and make the hair easier to maintain.
2. You don't always need a cabinet full of products
Sometimes a gentle cleanser, a good conditioner, a leave-in, and one styling product are enough.
The best routine is one you can maintain consistently.
3. Detangling deserves patience
Working in sections and using adequate slip can help minimize unnecessary pulling and breakage.
Your curls do not need to be rushed.
4. Pay attention to how your hair responds
If your hair feels coated, unusually dry, sticky, or difficult to manage, your routine may need adjusting.
A product that works beautifully for one person may behave quite differently on another head of hair.
5. Length changes your routine
As my hair grew, the products and methods I loved during my TWA days did not always produce the same results.
That did not mean my hair was becoming difficult.
It simply meant my regimen needed to grow along with my crown!
Is Conditioner-Only Hair Care Right for Everyone?
Not necessarily.
Co-washing can be useful for some people, especially when they prefer a gentler cleansing experience. But conditioner alone does not always remove styling residue, oils, and scalp buildup adequately.
Regular cleansing with an appropriate shampoo remains an important part of maintaining a healthy scalp.
Likewise, leaving ordinary rinse-out conditioner in the hair for extended periods is not necessarily beneficial and may cause irritation or buildup for some individuals.
The lesson is to understand the purpose of each product rather than assuming more conditioning always means better results.
Would I Repeat My 30-Day Challenge Today?
I would absolutely repeat the spirit of the experiment—but with a few changes!
I would use a gentle shampoo as needed, a rinse-out conditioner according to its instructions, and a dedicated leave-in conditioner for everyday moisture and manageability.
I would continue working in sections, avoid unnecessary manipulation, and protect my hair at bedtime with a satin bonnet, scarf, or pillowcase.
Most importantly, I would keep notes about how my hair felt and responded throughout the month.
That is the beauty of having a hair regimen: it is meant to serve your hair, not the other way around.
A Beautiful Lesson from My Natural Hair Journey
Looking back at my original 2013 challenge, I smile.
I was discovering my natural hair one wash day, one product, and one experiment at a time.
Some products became favorites. Others taught me what my curls did not particularly enjoy!
But every experience helped me understand my hair a little better.
And that is what I want every woman visiting Crowning Glory to remember.
Your natural hair journey is not a competition, and your curls do not have to behave like anyone else's.
Whether you have a beautiful TWA, shoulder-length coils, or a glorious crown of longer natural hair, give yourself permission to learn, adjust, and enjoy the journey.
Your crown deserves patience, care, and love.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Have you ever tried a conditioner-focused hair regimen?
Did your curls respond beautifully, or did you eventually decide that your hair needed a different routine?
I would love to hear about your experiences in the comments!
Until next time, my beautiful Curl Friends ...
Happy Curls to You! 💕
Note: TRESemmé Naturals is featured here as part of my original 2013 hair-care experience. This article is an archival reflection, not a current product endorsement. The formula, packaging, pricing, and availability may have changed.
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment