Curl Kit — Curly By Nature: Discovering Natural Hair Products in 2012
Originally Published: December 1, 2012 | Refreshed: October 2026
By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
A New Discovery on My Natural Hair Journey
Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!
Have you ever found yourself standing in the beauty supply store, staring at shelves filled with shampoos, conditioners, oils, and curl creams, wondering which product to try next?
Ladies, I certainly have!
Back in December 2012, I was constantly exploring the wonderful world of natural hair care. Every day seemed to bring another discovery, another product recommendation, or another opportunity to learn something about my curls.
During one of those searches, I discovered something called CurlKit, a monthly subscription box created for women with curly, coily, kinky, and textured hair.
And naturally, I was intrigued!
What Was CurlKit?
CurlKit was designed to introduce natural hair enthusiasts to a variety of hair-care products through a monthly subscription box.
At the time, the service advertised a selection of approximately six to nine items, including sample-sized and full-sized products, along with informational materials.
For naturalistas like me, the idea was exciting.
Instead of purchasing several full-sized products without knowing how they would perform, subscribers could explore different brands and formulations.
In 2012, the subscription was advertised at approximately $20 per month.
A little archival note: That was the advertised pricing when I originally wrote this article. It should not be interpreted as a current subscription offer or price.
Why I Found This Idea So Interesting
One of the challenges of maintaining natural hair is discovering which products work best for your individual strands.
My hair has its own personality, ladies!
With predominantly 3C curls and some 4A textures, I discovered early in my journey that not every heavily promoted product would give me the results I wanted.
Some products left my hair beautifully defined and soft.
Others left my curls feeling coated, sticky, or weighed down.
And sometimes, a product that worked wonderfully for another naturalista simply wasn't the right match for my hair.
That's why the opportunity to experiment with different products in smaller quantities appealed to me.
Discovering Natural Hair Brands
In my original 2012 article, I mentioned several brands featured through CurlKit's online shopping experience, including Jane Carter, Not Your Mother's, Honey Beez, Coco Curls, and African Pride.
What interested me most was the opportunity to explore both familiar and lesser-known products.
The natural hair community was growing, and women were exchanging recommendations through blogs, videos, and personal experiences.
For many of us, these conversations made the journey feel less overwhelming.
We were learning together!
Are Subscription Boxes Worth Trying?
Looking back, I believe subscription boxes offered an enjoyable way to become familiar with different product categories.
However, there are a few things I would encourage today's naturalistas to consider before purchasing a beauty subscription.
Know your hair's needs. If you already have a cleansing and conditioning routine that works beautifully, you may not need several additional products.
Pay attention to ingredients and formulations. Not every product is suitable for every scalp, texture, or personal preference.
Consider the actual value. A box filled with items you won't use may not be a bargain, regardless of its advertised retail value.
Avoid unnecessary product buildup. Experimenting is fun, but changing products constantly can make it difficult to identify what truly works.
And here's something I have learned over the years:
A healthy natural hair routine does not require an overflowing product cabinet!
A Look Back at My 2012 Expectations
When I first discovered CurlKit, I was enthusiastic about trying the subscription.
At that time, I was still exploring different products and looking forward to discovering new favorites.
Of course, this early article was written before I received and reviewed some of my later CurlKit boxes.
That's one reason I enjoy preserving these older posts.
They tell the story of my natural hair journey as it unfolded—from discovering a new subscription service to examining individual products and sharing my experiences.
These archives represent more than product reviews.
They document the excitement, experimentation, and personal growth that accompanied my return to natural hair.
What I Would Tell My Earlier Natural-Hair Self
If I could speak to the naturalista I was back in December 2012, I would remind her that discovering new products can be exciting, but understanding her own hair is even more important.
You don't have to purchase everything that receives a glowing review.
You don't have to follow every trend.
And you certainly don't have to compare your curls with someone else's.
Experiment thoughtfully, enjoy the process, and celebrate what makes your own beautiful crown unique.
Continue the CurlKit Journey
Want to revisit more of my experiences and lessons from the natural hair community?
Take a look back at the early excitement surrounding CurlKit and its subscription offerings.
Discover why fine natural curls deserve special appreciation and why lighter product application may be helpful.
3. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized
Explore practical ways to care for your strands without relying on a complicated routine.
Let's Talk, Ladies!
Do you remember the excitement surrounding natural hair subscription boxes?
Have you ever discovered a favorite conditioner, curl cream, or styling product through a sample?
Or have you learned that your favorite products are sometimes the simplest ones?
Share your experiences below!
And always remember:
Your natural hair journey isn't about how many products you own. It's about discovering what makes your beautiful crown thrive.
Until next time…
Happy Curls to You, My Friend!
Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks
© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.

Comments
Post a Comment