Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding Review: My Experience With Curl Definition, Shine & Hold

Originally Published October 24, 2012 | Refreshed October 2026

By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

A Little Purple Jar That Caught My Attention!

Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!

Ladies, if you've been following my natural hair journey for a while, you know I enjoy experimenting with styling products, especially those promising curl definition, shine, and manageable natural hair.

Back in October 2012, I decided to give Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding a try.

The lavender-colored jar was certainly attractive, but what interested me most was whether the product could deliver beautiful, defined curls without leaving my strands stiff, sticky, or weighed down.

At the time, my hair was predominantly fine 3B/3C curls, with a personality all its own!

And ladies, you know how that goes. What looks wonderful on someone else's curls may behave quite differently on our own beautiful crown.

So, did this little purple jar live up to my expectations?

Let's revisit my experience!

What Is Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding?

Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding was promoted as a curl-defining styling cream intended for naturally curly, wavy, and tightly textured hair.

Among the benefits advertised at the time were curl definition, frizz control, shine, and longer-lasting styles.

Those were certainly appealing promises!

However, one thing I've learned is that no styling product can completely eliminate natural shrinkage or guarantee frizz-free results in every environment.

A product may temporarily help curls appear more elongated or controlled, but our natural curl patterns still respond to water, humidity, handling, and styling techniques.

The real question is how a product performs on your hair.

Let's Talk About the Ingredients

Now, ladies, here's something that made this product especially interesting to me.

The formula listed in my original 2012 article included mineral oil, glycerin, a silicone ingredient, aloe extract, and several conditioning oils and butters.

And yes, I know!

For years, the natural hair community debated whether mineral oil and silicones belonged in our hair-care routines.

Some naturalistas preferred avoiding them entirely.

But I have always believed in paying attention to how my own strands respond.

My hair actually liked certain mineral oil- and silicone-containing products!

Mineral oil can help lubricate strands and reduce moisture loss. Some silicones can improve slip, shine, and manageability.

Neither ingredient category is automatically harmful to hair.

However, heavier products and certain styling combinations can cause buildup or leave some hair feeling coated, particularly when not cleansed appropriately.

That's why understanding your own hair's needs matters more than automatically labeling an ingredient good or bad.

And remember, cosmetic formulas change. The ingredient list I discussed in 2012 may not match the formula currently being sold.

How I Used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding

For my original experiment, I began by co-washing my hair with TRESemmé Moisture Enhancing Conditioner.

After rinsing out most of the conditioner, I applied Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding while my hair was extremely wet.

I then divided my hair into approximately fourteen sections and twisted each section.

My plan was simple: allow the twists to dry, unravel them, and enjoy beautifully defined curls!

Well, ladies, my hair had a different timetable!

The following morning, my curls were still damp.

Because I wasn't using heat to dry my hair, I tied my hair back with a scarf, went to work, and eventually took down the twists.

Looking back, I would now recommend allowing twists to dry thoroughly before unraveling them whenever possible. Taking down damp twists can sometimes encourage frizz or reduce definition.

I would also avoid routinely sleeping with soaking-wet hair, since a prolonged damp scalp may cause discomfort.

But that was the real experience behind my 2012 review, and I want to preserve it!



The Results: Beautiful Shine, Movement & Definition

Now, here comes the interesting part!

Once I took down my twists, I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of my hair.

My curls had beautiful definition, noticeable shine, and a lovely amount of body.

What I appreciated most was that my hair didn't feel completely glued together or excessively stiff.

There was movement!

And ladies, there is something wonderful about natural curls that have definition while still feeling touchable.

I experienced a little frizz, but that wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

After all, some frizz is perfectly normal with curly and coily hair, and it isn't automatically a sign that something is wrong.

[Insert your original October 2012 results photograph here.]

My original results after styling with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding.

This photograph is an important part of the review because it shows the actual results I achieved.

What I Loved About Curly Pudding

There were several qualities that impressed me during this experiment.

1. Smooth application. The product distributed through my wet hair more easily than some other stylers I'd tried.

2. A little went a long way. I didn't need to use an excessive amount to style my sections.

3. Beautiful shine. My curls had noticeable luster after styling.

4. Good curl definition. My twist-out had an attractive, defined appearance.

5. Pleasant fragrance. I enjoyed the light, floral scent of the version I used.

6. Touchable hold. My hair had structure without feeling completely rigid.

And, of course, I loved the distinctive lavender-colored presentation!

The product made the styling experience feel a little luxurious.

What I Didn't Love

Now, ladies, a proper review has to include the challenges too!

The price: At the time, I considered Curly Pudding an investment compared with some other styling products available to me.

The possibility of buildup: Using too much product could leave hair feeling heavy or coated.

Product compatibility: Not every conditioner or leave-in necessarily layers well with every styling cream. Some combinations may leave visible residue or flakes.

Drying time: My hair took a long time to dry after being styled in twists.

The learning curve: I had to experiment with the amount used and the best application technique.

These observations reflect my own experience. Hair density, strand thickness, porosity, styling techniques, and product combinations can all influence the final result.

Mineral Oil, Silicones & the Natural Hair Conversation

One of the reasons I find this old review so interesting is that it captures an important moment in the natural hair movement.

In 2012, ingredient discussions could become quite passionate!

Some naturalistas followed strict product rules, while others preferred experimenting with different formulations.

My philosophy was always to pay attention to the actual condition of my hair.

Ladies, a product containing mineral oil or silicones isn't automatically damaging, just as a product made entirely from botanical ingredients isn't automatically suitable for every person.

Instead, I encourage you to consider how a product performs, whether your hair feels manageable, whether your scalp remains comfortable, and whether your cleansing routine removes accumulated residue effectively.

Healthy hair practices are about consistency and informed choices, not fear of every unfamiliar ingredient.

Would I Purchase Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding Again?

In my original October 2012 review, my answer was an enthusiastic yes!

Although I felt the price was a little high, I enjoyed the overall results.

My curls looked defined and shiny, my hair had lovely movement, and I appreciated the hold.

I also recognized that the product required some experimentation to achieve the best results.

Would I promise it works the same way for everyone?

Absolutely not!

But for my fine 3B/3C curls at that point in my natural hair journey, it delivered a look that I genuinely enjoyed.

And that's why this article remains a meaningful part of the Crowning Glory archives.

My Advice for Trying Curl-Defining Creams Today

If you're interested in experimenting with a curl-defining cream, here are a few suggestions:

  • Begin with clean, conditioned hair and follow the current product directions.

  • Apply a small amount to one section before covering your entire head.

  • Distribute the product evenly without excessive pulling.

  • Test a small combination of leave-in conditioner and styler if you're concerned about residue.

  • Allow your twists or other set styles to dry thoroughly before taking them down.

  • Adjust the amount of product for your strand thickness, density, and desired finish.

And remember, ladies, beautiful natural hair doesn't require perfection.

Sometimes our curls will be defined. Sometimes they'll be fluffy. Sometimes they'll have a little extra personality!

It's all part of embracing the beauty of our natural texture.

A Note About This Archival Review

This article reflects my personal experience with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding in October 2012.

The product's packaging, price, ingredients, fragrance, and availability may have changed since then.

My original observations remain part of the historical review and should not be interpreted as a test of any current formulation.

Continue Your Natural Hair Journey

If you love experimenting with curl definition, moisture, and styling products, you may enjoy these Crowning Glory articles:

1. The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!

Explore styling techniques that help enhance the appearance of natural curls.

2. Combating Frizz: Why Your Natural Hair Gets Frizzy & How to Keep Your Curls Beautifully Defined

Learn about the factors that contribute to frizz and ways to care for your natural texture.

3. 10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

Discover practical conditioning and moisturizing habits for curly and coily hair.

Let's Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever tried Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding?

Did it give you beautiful curl definition, or did you find it a little too heavy for your strands?

And here's another question: Are you someone who carefully studies every ingredient, or do you prefer judging a product by how your hair responds?

I'd love to hear your experiences in the comments!

Remember, ladies:

Every beautiful crown is different. The goal isn't to make your hair behave like someone else's, but to discover the care and styling methods that bring out its own natural beauty.

Until next time…

Happy Curls to You, My Friend!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.




RESULTS







Comments

  1. I have recently discovered my hair is a 4a and was going to use this product for shingling and twist outs. Understanding it is not a curl defining product, according to the website shingling with this product should enhance your natural pattern. What is your opinion on this for 4a hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Lady Rice,

    Your hair type has found some good results due to the nature of your coils. Miss Jessie's Curling Pudding is a "curl enhancer" because of its ability to elongate your curls.

    I would recommend its cheaper counterpart "Let's Jam." A $5.99 product versus $38.00.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose