Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding Review: My First Experience With Curl Definition, Shine & Soft Hold

Originally Published May 23, 2012 | Refreshed October 2026

By Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks

The Search for Beautifully Defined Curls!

Greetings, my beautiful naturalistas!

Ladies, let's take another trip down memory lane!

When I began my natural hair journey in 2010, I quickly discovered that finding the right styling products involved a little patience, experimentation, and, occasionally, a willingness to open my pocketbook! LOL!

One product that kept catching my attention was Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding.

For nearly two years, I admired the product from a distance. I had heard about its curl-defining abilities, but its price made me hesitant.

Finally, in May 2012, I decided to give it a try.

I purchased a 16-ounce jar from Target for $38.

Now, ladies, remember that was the price I paid back in 2012, not a current retail price.

At that price, I was certainly expecting something special!

And so began my personal experience with one of the styling products that generated considerable conversation in the natural hair community.

My First Impressions of Curly Pudding

The first thing I noticed was the product's consistency.

Curly Pudding was thick, creamy, and rich.

It certainly wasn't a lightweight, watery styling lotion.

The product also had a distinctive fragrance. I found it pleasant, although I could understand why someone sensitive to stronger scents might prefer an unscented option.

At the time, my natural hair consisted of a combination of approximately 3B, 3C, and tighter 4A curls and coils.

My primary goal was to create a beautiful wash-and-go with defined curls, shine, softness, and enough hold to keep the frizz under control.

I wasn't looking for stiff, crunchy hair.

Ladies, I wanted curls that could MOVE!

How I Applied Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding

I began by washing my hair with TRESemmé Naturals Shampoo.

I followed with a moisturizing hair product and prepared my curls for styling.

Using the shingling method, I worked Curly Pudding through my hair in small sections.

For those unfamiliar with shingling, this technique involves smoothing a styling product through sections of wet or damp hair to encourage individual curls to clump and form.

And ladies, here's something I discovered almost immediately:

A little Curly Pudding went a long way!

I found that approximately a dime-sized amount for each section was sufficient for my hair at the time.

The product distributed smoothly, and I began noticing curl clumping and definition as I worked.

I particularly appreciated how my curls appeared more organized without requiring a large amount of styling product.

Curl Definition: Now That's What I'm Talking About!

Ladies, the curl clumping was impressive!

My hair developed beautifully defined sections, and I noticed a lovely shine.

The finished appearance was bouncy, with a soft, flexible hold rather than the stiff finish I had experienced with some other stylers.

That was one of my favorite characteristics of Curly Pudding.

I wanted my hair to look defined but still feel like hair!

And when the product was applied in an appropriate amount, that was the type of finish I experienced.

Of course, individual results vary according to hair texture, density, product quantity, and styling technique.

The One Thing That Required Patience: Drying Time

Now, ladies, we need to talk about drying!

Because this product definitely required some patience on my part.

When I used Curly Pudding without an additional leave-in underneath, my hair took approximately two hours to dry.

On another occasion, I applied a leave-in conditioner before Curly Pudding.

Although the styling results were attractive, portions of my hair remained damp much longer than expected.

I discovered that combining rich conditioning products with a thick styling cream could extend my drying time.

That doesn't mean those combinations will behave the same way for everyone.

But for me, it was a reminder that product layering matters.

Sometimes using less product and allowing sufficient drying time can make a noticeable difference in the finished style.

And ladies, if you're planning to leave home with a beautifully finished wash-and-go, timing is everything!

Could I Refresh My Curls With Water?

One feature I appreciated was the possibility of refreshing my curls with water.

During my early experience with the product, light refreshing could help revive the appearance of my curls between styling sessions.

But I learned to be mindful of how much additional product or water I applied.

Too much styling cream could make the hair feel coated or crunchy.

For my curls, beginning with a smaller amount produced a more comfortable finish.

More product doesn't always mean more definition!

Sometimes it simply means more buildup.

What About the Ingredients?

The formula listed in my original 2012 review included ingredients such as mineral oil, glycerin, silicones, aloe vera, avocado oil, shea butter, and several other conditioning ingredients.

I want to make an important distinction here.

Those ingredients describe the historical version I reviewed. Product formulas can change, so readers should consult the ingredient label of any product they purchase today.

During my natural hair journey, I also discovered that ingredients such as mineral oil and silicones often inspired spirited conversations among naturalistas.

Some women preferred avoiding them, while others appreciated how certain formulas made their hair feel.

I learned that an ingredient's presence alone doesn't tell the entire story.

The complete formulation, your styling habits, your cleansing routine, and how your hair responds are all important considerations.

My personal goal has always been to discover what helps my curls look and feel their best.

My Pros and Cons of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding

Looking back at my original 2012 experience, here is how I would summarize the product.

What I Loved

  • Smooth, creamy application.

  • A relatively small amount was sufficient.

  • Beautiful curl clumping and definition.

  • Noticeable shine.

  • Soft, flexible hold when used sparingly.

  • Bouncy curls with movement.

  • The possibility of refreshing my hairstyle with water.

  • Versatility for experimenting with wash-and-go styles and twist-outs.

What I Didn't Love

  • The original purchase price was high for my budget.

  • Drying time could be lengthy.

  • The fragrance might be overwhelming for someone who prefers lightly scented products.

  • Applying too much could leave a crunchy finish.

  • Combining it with additional rich products sometimes prolonged drying.

  • It required experimentation to find the right amount for my hair.

These are observations from my own experience, not guarantees of how the product will perform on every curl pattern.

Was Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding Worth the Investment?

Now, this is the question, ladies!

When I first purchased the product, I was concerned about spending $38 on one jar of hair styler.

However, I soon realized that I didn't need a large amount for each application.

That changed how I thought about the initial cost.

Sometimes a more expensive product may last longer because only a small quantity is needed.

Of course, that doesn't automatically make it the best value for every household or every head of hair.

For women who style frequently, have longer or denser hair, or need additional products to achieve their desired results, the overall cost can be quite different.

At the time, I appreciated the results, but I also recognized that more affordable products could provide similar styling benefits for my hair.

Would I Repurchase Curly Pudding?

Looking back at my first experience, I can say that Curly Pudding helped me achieve some of the curl definition and shine I was searching for.

But would I immediately purchase another jar?

At that time, my answer was no.

Not because I disliked the product.

In fact, I enjoyed several aspects of its performance.

I simply felt that the jar I purchased would last quite a while, and I was satisfied experimenting with less expensive alternatives such as Let's Jam.

That's one of the things I love about exploring natural hair products.

We don't always have to choose the most expensive product to achieve a hairstyle we enjoy.

And sometimes, a product can be genuinely good without becoming a permanent part of our routine.

What This Review Taught Me About My Natural Hair

Revisiting this 2012 review reminds me of how much I was learning about my curls.

I was discovering that curl definition was only one part of creating a successful wash-and-go.

I also needed to consider drying time, softness, product layering, frizz control, and the amount of styling product my hair could comfortably tolerate.

Those lessons stayed with me as my natural hair journey continued.

And ladies, that's why I love preserving these earlier reviews.

They show the experiments, discoveries, surprises, and little victories that helped shape my understanding of natural hair care.

Continue Your Natural Hair Journey

If you enjoy learning about curl definition, moisture, and natural hair styling, explore these related Crowning Glory articles:

The Ultimate 3C & 4A Wash-and-Go: Beautiful Curl Definition Without All the Frizz!

Discover styling techniques for defining curls and managing frizz.

Combating Frizz: Why Your Natural Hair Gets Frizzy & How to Keep Your Curls Beautifully Defined

Explore practical approaches for maintaining your natural curl pattern.

10 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Moisturized

Learn everyday habits that can help maintain softness and manageability.

Let's Talk, Ladies!

Have you ever used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding?

Did you love the definition and shine, or did the drying time and price make you think twice?

And here's another question:

Have you ever splurged on a natural hair product and later discovered that a less expensive alternative worked just as well for you?

I'd love to hear your experiences in the comments!

Remember, ladies, our natural hair journeys are personal.

What works beautifully for one woman might not be the perfect match for another.

And that's perfectly fine!

Keep learning, keep experimenting, and most importantly, keep celebrating the beautiful crown you've been given.

Until next time, my beautiful naturalistas…

Happy Curls to You, My Friend!

Lady Carolyn M. Summerset
Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks


© 2026 Crowning Glory — Coils & Kinks by Lady Carolyn M. Summerset. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or republished without prior written permission of the author.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine 3C Hair Advantages: Celebrating the Beauty of Fine Natural Curls

Kimmytube's DIY Leave-In Conditioner Recipe: A Natural Hair Moisture Favorite!

Texas Pastor Forbids the Wearing of Weaves in His Church? Faith, Hair, and a Woman's Right to Choose